Knights place third in conference meet

The Rutgers men’s track and field team finished third at the Big East Championships held at the Bauer Track and Field Complex on campus, and the Scarlet Knights did it with impressive individual performances.

Senior thrower James Plummer was named the Big East’s Most Outstanding Field Performer after he won the Big East discus title. The South Toms River, N.J., native set a new championship record with his throw of 60.85 meters. His toss was 8.12 meters further than the next-best throw by second-place finisher Andrew Wells of Pittsburgh. Connecticut’s Eric Masington finished third in the event with a distance of 51.88.

Plummer also finished fourth in the shot put with a distance of 16.57 meters. In that event, Louisville’s Brad Vivace finished first with a 17.53-meter throw, Masington placed second with a throw of 17.38 meters and Louisville’s Steve Wade held third with a distance of 16.61 meters.

Connecticut won the title with a score of 119.5. Notre Dame placed ahead of Rutgers with a 107.5 total as the Knights finished with a 103.5 team score.

Four Knights competed in the last day of racing events yesterday with senior runner Monroe Kearns having the highest finish.

The Jackson, N.J., native finished second in the 800 meter with a 1.50.16 time, which qualified her for the IC4A Championships. Kearns placed behind Villanova’s Samuel Ellison, who finished with a time of 1:49.901.

Freshman runner Kyle Holder finished third in the 400-meter hurdles and also qualified for the IC4A Championships with a finish of 53.23 seconds, just .02 seconds behind the second place time set by Connecticut’s Chris Whyte. Notre Dame’s Jarrod Buchanon won the event with a time of 52.131.

Sophomore sprinter Kadeem Douse and sophomore sprinter Corey Crawford also competed in races on the final day as Douse finished seventh in the 100 meter and Crawford placed in sixth in the 200 meter.

In field events, senior jumper Adam Bergo placed second in the triple jump behind South Florida’s Mathew O’Neal, while senior jumper Kevin Bostick finished right behind Bergo for third.

Senior thrower Chris Wyckoff placed third in the pole vault and cleared the vault at 4.95 meters. Cincinnati’s Josh Dangel finished first with 5.35 meters, while Connecticut’s Cory Duggan and South Florida’s Drew Volz finished second and third, respectively.

In team events, the 4x400-meter relay group captured a second-place finish. The team, consisting of Douse, Crawford, sophomore D’Andre Jordan and freshman Rajee Dunbar, finished the race with a time of 3:12.47, which qualified the quartet for the IC4A Championships. The 4x800-meter team of juniors Steve Burkholder, Curtis Richburg and Karon Purcell and senior Monroe Kearns placed second with a IC4A-qualifying time of 7:36.47.

The Knights return to action May 10-12 when they compete in the IC4A Championships in Princeton.