Seagears joins teammate with SEC transfer

The SEC received its second former Rutgers men’s basketball player in the past two days when sophomore guard Jerome Seagears announced his intentions to enroll at Auburn.

“I Will Be Attending Auburn University To Finish My Student Athletic Career!!! War Eagle,” Seagears tweeted yesterday about his decision.

This comes a day after sophomore guard Eli Carter announced he would transfer to Florida.

Carter is the second former Rutgers basketball player to jump ship to the Gators in the past five seasons, as guard Mike Rosario did so when former head coach Fred Hill, Jr. was fired in 2010.

After sitting out a season, Rosario made an immediate impact for Florida and averaged 12.5 points per game last season for a team who made it to the Elite 8 before falling to Michigan, 79-59. He scored nine points in the loss and averaged 14.5 points during the tournament.

Carter, who dropped 31 points two seasons ago against the Gators, hopes to transition as well as Rosario, and he might get to do so as soon as this upcoming season.

According to SNY.tv, legendary high school coach Bob Hurley — who coached Carter at St. Anthony’s — said he expects Carter to receive a waiver to play next season.

That means Carter, who averaged 14.9 points per game last season before fracturing his right fibula Feb. 16 against DePaul, could be available for Florida head coach Billy Donavan as soon as this November.

It remains to be scene if Seagears will get the same treatment, but it is a sure thing both will play each other in the SEC.

Seagears averaged 6.5 points per game last season and will have two years of eligibility remaining for the Eagles.