U. senior produces photographs for MTV's VMAs

Millions of teenaged girls have hash-tagged “VoteOneDirection” so the boy band’s hit “Best Song Ever” will win the MTV Video Music Awards’ “Best Song of Summer” category —and so has School of Arts and Sciences senior Zack Morrison.

But the motivation behind Morrison’s vote goes beyond the song’s fun, catchy lyrics and poppy, upbeat rhythm.

Morrison and five other college filmmakers and photographers were chosen by MTV to use Microsoft’s Nokia Lumia 1020 to create images that describe the songs contending in the “Best Song of Summer” category.

Morrison’s pictures of boardwalks, beaches and blondes are paired with One Direction’s “Best Song Ever”.

As a way to advertise the phone’s 41 megapixel camera, his photographs needed to show off its extreme zoom lens, he said.

“When we were coming up with the concept, we had to come up with a creative way that we could have a wide shot that tells one story and when you zoom in on that wide shot, it’s kind of a completely different picture,” he said.

The photographs will be displayed in the style of an art gallery for tomorrow night’s Songs of Summer Celebration at the Music Hall of Williamsburg in Brooklyn, he said.

Morrison and his photographs also will appear tomorrow night on “Random Acts of mtvU,” a show in which celebrities reward distinguished and deserving students with a surprise kind gesture for their hard work, according to mtvU’s website.

He cannot disclose what random act of kindness he received, but described his summer working with MTV as a whirlwind trip.

“It’s kind of this crazy, one surprise after another sort of thing,” Morrison said.

By Alex Meier