Filigno nets record in weekend split

5248d1fa836bd.image
Photo by Shirley Yu |

Senior forward Jonelle Filigno scored her 16th-career game-winning goal Friday in Rutgers’ 1-0 victory against Cincinnati. Filigno passed former players Carli Lloyd and Kris Kurzynowski for the record.

It turned out to be a special night for the Rutgers women’s soccer team Friday when it stepped on the field for its AAC opener against Cincinnati.

The former Big East opponents battled in the Scarlet Knights’ tight 1-0 victory, as senior forward Jonelle Filigno took her place in the Rutgers (8-2-1) record books.

Filigno scored her 16th game-winning goal of her career, which broke Carli Lloyd’s and Kris Kurzynowski’s record.

“That is big time and a really meaningful stat that shows the kind of player that Jonelle is,” said head coach Glenn Crooks. “A lot of those were 1-0, 2-1 or overtime goals. She scores big goals in big moments. Jonelle did it in the Olympics and she has been doing it for us for awhile now.”

Photo: Shirley Yu

Senior goalkeeper Jessica Janosz stopped one penalty attempt Sunday against Louisville, but let up another in the 4-1 loss.

The goal came in the 42nd minute in the first half, when junior forward Stephanie Scholz put a shot on net. Cincinnati (5-7) goalkeeper Natalie Smith saved the attempt, but did not control the ball.

Filigno cleaned up the rebound and found the back of the net for her fifth goal this season.

It was the game’s only evidence of an offensive presence.

It was the fifth shutout of the season for Rutgers, who held off a late Bearcats rally to secure the victory.

Cincinnati recorded eight shots in the contest but only one on goal, which senior goalkeeper Jessica Janosz saved.

If the win was the highlight for Rutgers on the weekend, its backend matchup with Louisville was the opposite.

The Cardinals (6-3-1) sent the Knights home with a 4-1 loss, ending Rutgers’ four-game winning streak.

Despite the lopsided outcome, Crooks believed the loss was not representative of the Knights’ talent.

“The score doesn’t represent how close this game really was,” Crooks said. “They capitalized on our mistakes, which good teams will do. Nothing gets handed to you on the road, you have to go out and take it.”

Rutgers fell to an early 3-0 deficit. Freshman midfielder Jennifer Anderson found freshman forward Jessica Puchalski for a goal in the 35th minute.

But Louisville stopped that comeback bid when forward Charlyn Corral scored her second goal of the game in the second half’s opening minute, which gave the Cardinals another three-goal cushion.

Rutgers could not escape first-half mistakes.

The Knights already trailed, 1-0, when officials yellow carded senior defender Tricia DiPaolo in the 23rd minute just before Louisville scored two goals in five minutes.

Sophomore forward Shannon Dennehey found the back of the net off a rebound in the 27th minute to give Louisville a two-goal lead.

Then in the 32nd minute, the Cardinals scored again — this time on a penalty kick from senior defender Chelsea Hunter to push the lead to 3-0. Louisville outshot Rutgers, 8-3, in the first half.

Janosz had already stopped one penalty kick attempt earlier in the game, but could not stop the high-percentage opportunity.

Despite the weekend’s disappointing finish for Rutgers, Crooks felt optimistic about his team’s future.

“Obviously we didn’t get six points this weekend like we wanted to, but we are creating opportunities for ourselves,” Crooks said. “Right now we are just not cashing in those opportunities, but we are doing some good things on the field.”

Rutgers returns home Friday to host Memphis in a weekend home stand with two AAC opponents.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Jim Mooney