Junior’s big weekend lands her awards

52391ad78c55e.image

Junior forward Stephanie Scholz scored five goals this weekend for Rutgers.

With all of the focus last weekend on the Rutgers women’s soccer team returning to winning in dominating fashion, there was also a bit of history made during the team’s two wins.

Junior forward Stephanie Scholz was the main attraction this weekend for the Scarlet Knights as she scored five goals last weekend, including four against in-state rival Princeton.

“It was just one of those days where everything seems to just go right,” Scholz said.  

It was the most goals scored in a single game by a Knight since 1984.

Photo: The Daily Targum

Senior goalkeeper Jessica Janosz let in one goal in 135 minutes in two games this weekend, en route to AAC Weekly Honors.

Scholz’s performance earned her the conference’s Offensive Player of the Week.

“Scholz had a brilliant weekend with the way she played,” said head coach Glenn Crooks.

For Rutgers, it marked the first time a player was named conference player of the week since last season when senior forward Jonelle Filigno earned the honor three times.

Filigno also made a bit of history Friday against Bryant. Her game-winning goal was the 15th of her career and tied Filigno for first place all-time in game-winning goals along with Kris Kurzynowski and Carli Lloyd.

“It’s a pretty exciting feeling to have that honor and I didn’t even know it at first until some of the parents started bringing it up after the game,” Filigno said. “A lot of those goals are a team effort so some credit needs to go to them too because I couldn’t have done it without them.”

The honors continued for the Knights on Monday afternoon as the AAC announced that freshman midfielder Madison Tiernan earned Rookie of the Week and senior goalkeeper Jessica Janosz earned a spot on the honor roll.

It is the second time this season that both Tiernan and Janosz have been given AAC recognition.

Tiernan scored two goals and had an assist to give her five points last weekend, while Janosz was impressive in goal, only allowing one goal in 135 minutes of play.

Tiernan also earned AAC Rookie of the Week for the first time this season.

With Scholz and Tiernan both winning AAC player of the week honors, it marks the first time since the 2006 season that the Knights have had two players receive honors in the same week.

Yet with all of the good that the team did last weekend, it is still looking to improve entering Friday’s matchup against Villanova.

“It was a good weekend for us, but it wasn’t perfect,” Filigno said. “There is still a lot we can improve as a team.”

For updates on the Rutgers women’s soccer team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Jim Mooney