April 24, 2018 | ° F

RU carries on without Rookie of Year

522950e93571b.image

Head Coach Meredith Long will choose between senior Sarah Stuby (above) and freshman Shevaun Hayes for who he will start in goal this weekend for the Rutgers field hockey team.

As the Rutgers field hockey (1-1) team prepares for a home showdown Sunday with No. 10 Duke, one important piece will be on the sideline.

Sophomore midfielder Alyssa Bull, last year’s Big East Rookie of the Year, learned she tore her ACL after going down in the first half of last week’s game against Boston College.

In her freshman year, Bull gained Second Team All-Big East honors and scored the third-most points for the Scarlet Knights with 14.

Bull’s injury is disappointing for head coach Meredith Long.

Photo: The Daily Targum

The Knights will be without the services of sophomore forward Alyssa Bull, who will miss the rest of the year with a ACL injury.

“She’s one of the toughest players on our team and competes so hard,” Long said. “She has already taken on a leadership role. She’s on the sideline taking stats every drill on her own, telling the team what’s happening. I know she’ll be fine, and I know she’ll find her place.”

While it is a blow for the Knights, they feel confident entering their match today against LaSalle (0-2) at the Bauer Track and Field Complex and will make sure not to overlook the Explorers.

“For us it’s really one game at a time and we’re focused on what’s next,” Long said. “We really had a great film session [Wednesday] where we looked at LaSalle and the players recognized where he had the advantage and what we need to do to come out with the win. We’re really focused on one game at a time.”

Long has instilled this in her players.

“We take it one game at time, and we focus on what’s in front before you worry about what’s next,” said junior midfielder Jenn Staab.

Who will start at goaltender is still uncertain for the Knights.

Freshman Shevaun Hayes saved six shots and gave up two goals in the loss Saturday against Boston College. Senior Sarah Stuby made one save and let in two goals in a win against Vermont.

“It’s not totally locked up yet,” Long said. “Shevaun and Stuby are both playing really well, which is a really good problem to have.”

The Knights then host Duke on Sunday. In Duke’s two games this season, it has scored eight goals and let up just one en route to a 2-0 start.

Senior midfielder Lisa Patrone thinks Rutgers can hold its own in the game.

“I think we play a fast-paced game as well,” Patrone said. “If we have the ball, they can’t score. We have to maintain possession and keep them out of our circle. I think it’s going to be tight. It’s going to be like a battle. Field hockey is a highly transitional game, so I think it will be just like that.”

Junior midfielder Sophie Wright agreed.

“It could be a tight game, or we could run away with it. It’s all about momentum,” Wright said. “If we get the momentum, we could definitely win. I 100 percent believe we can outscore them.”

For updates on the Rutgers field hockey team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Justin Lesko