U. Student filmmaker invited to MTV’s VMAs

While most people watched the MTV Video Music Awards on their TV, Rutgers University student Zack Morrison watched celebrities walk the red carpet through his camera’s viewfinder and the performances from backstage.

Morrison, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, found his passion for filmmaking in a toy camera he was given while in elementary school. That has led him to spend half of his life taking pictures and making movies.

The opportunity to attend and be a part of the red carpet photography team at the VMAs came after mtvU asked Morrison to participate in a photography project related to a new award being given this year for the best song of summer, he said.

After completing the project, mtvU invited him to work the red carpet, Morrison said.

“They had us right in the center of all the screaming fans,” he said.

Backstage of the awards show, Morrison said he gave a head nod to Joseph Gordon-Levitt and was passed by Taylor Swift several times.

But Morrison is no stranger to awards shows.

His short films have been recognized nationally at Campus MovieFest for each of the three years he has been at the University.

Campus MovieFest visits universities and colleges around the country to hold competitions from which a university’s winners go on to the national Campus MovieFest in Hollywood.

Most recently, Morrison’s short film “Don’t Make Me Sing” was a national nominee for the Campus MovieFest Best Soundtrack award.

“Don’t Make Me Sing” was also screened at the Cannes Film Festival in France, he said.

Morrison said he hopes to attend the national Campus MovieFest again this year.

Student filmmakers who attend for all four years of their undergraduate career receive special awards, he said.

By Simon Galperin