May 24, 2019 | 62° F

Coaches tab Knights fourth in conference

525cb5e8cc6c2-image
Photo by Tian Li |

Head coach C. Vivian Stringer enters the last year of her current contract as Rutgers is ranked No. 4 in the AAC’s preseason poll.

Coaches voted the Rutgers women’s basketball team to finish fourth this season in the AAC at the conference’s media day yesterday.

The nine other coaches unanimously picked Connecticut — the defending national champion — to win the conference.

Louisville — national runner-up a year ago — was chosen to finish second in its final season in the conference before moving on to the ACC. South Florida projects to finish just behind at No. 3.

Rounding out the preseason standings behind the Scarlet Knights at No. 4 are Southern Methodist, the Memphis, the Cincinnati, Central Florida, Temple and Houston in order.

While Connecticut boasts the AAC’s Preseason Player of the Year in forward Breanna Stewart, the conference selected a Scarlet Knight as its top freshman.

Tyler Scaife, a two-time state player of the year at Hall (Ark.) High School, is the AAC Preseason Freshman of the Year. The last Knight to receive the honor was former wing April Sykes, who became Big East Freshman of the Year entering the 2007-08 season.

Rutgers signed Scaife last November as the top point guard recruit and the No. 9 overall recruit nationally, according to ESPN HoopGurlz. The 5-foot-8 guard averaged 23.8 points, 4.5 assists, four rebounds and 3.3 steals per contest in 85 varsity games across three seasons.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s basketball team, follow Greg Johnson on Twitter @GregJohnsonRU. For general Rutgers sports updates, follow @TargumSports.

By Greg Johnson