Depth changes without Filigno

Throughout the season, the Rutgers women’s soccer team has overcome different forms of adversity to earn its 11-2-1 record.

But the team will face arguably its biggest challenge Friday, as it plays conference front-runner Central Florida without one of its best players.

Senior forward Jonelle Filigno must sit out the road game after she received a red card and was ejected from Sunday’s game against Southern Methodist.

Filigno has been one of the Scarlet Knights’ leaders all season and is tied with junior forward Stefanie Scholz for the team lead in points and goals.

Rutgers will have to find a way to replace that production for one game. But Filigno’s experience might be the greatest loss.

Along with being a fifth-year senior, Filigno also has won a bronze medal in her time with the Canadian national team in 2012’s London Olympics.

Head coach Glenn Crooks must decide who replaces Filigno in the starting 11 alongside Scholz and Tiernan to round out the forwards.

Senior forward Maria Gerew is one of those candidates, as she has the most experience out of the group of forwards.

Gerew has scored one goal this season and appeared in all 14 games.

Another player who may start Friday’s game is sophomore forward Rachel Cole.

Cole has scored one goal and added three assists this season while showing off some playmaking ability in her 14 appearances this season.

No matter whom Crooks decides to start in Filigno’s place, it will likely require replacement by committee.

While there may be no way to replace that kind of knowledge of the game, the Knights have shown all season that they are capable of competing with most teams in the country.

Scholz has broken out this season. She went from playing as one of the first substitutes last season to making the starting 11.

If Friday’s match is close, Rutgers may turn to Scholz in a situation where Filigno would normally step up.

Filigno broke the school’s career game-winning goals record earlier this season with 16 and has routinely been in the right place in clutch moments. Scholz is second on the team in that category this season with three game-winners.

The Knights will also need production from some of their younger forwards, including freshman midfielder Madison Tiernan. Tiernan is third on the team with five goals and 13 points as a rookie.

Rutgers will need her to flash some of that potential Friday to pick up a key conference victory.

For a team that has been all about playing for each other, Friday may need to be the biggest team effort the Knights have put out all season.