July 18, 2018 | ° F

Knights finish fourth at home tournament

Hosting the Rutgers Invitational yesterday, the Rutgers women’s golf team looked to rebound from its last outing.

The Scarlet Knights finished tied for eighth, carding a 635 scorecard in the 20-team field. The Knights carded a 309 the second day, which pleased head coach Maura Ballard.

“[Three hundred and nine] is right where I think we should be every time we play,” Ballard said. “The 326 [the first day] was just not a good day for us. You get a little excited for your home tournament and you might put a little too much pressure on yourself and I think that might have been what was going on in that first round.”

Rutgers previously finished last place Sept. 29 at the Penn State Invitational.

Sophomore Jackie Mullens impressed Ballard, finishing tied for eighth and carded a 152 to lead the team in the 113-player individual field. Mullens shot even in par-three scoring and led the team with six birdies. The Brookside, N.J., native shot 22 strokes better than last year when she finished tied for 95th.  

Mullens believes the difference between performances shows her growth as a player.

“I think I have matured a lot over last semester and over the summer. I think I have definitely improved my game a lot,” Mullens said. “I’m extremely happy with how I played.”

Freshmen Maddy Gedeon and Taylor Clark joined Mullens among the top-40 competitors, as both finished tied for 36th with 160 scores.

Gedeon’s first day was slow after she finished tied for 70th. But she responded well the second day and jumped 34 places after recording four birdies, the second most on the team.

“I was thinking about the results and the score instead of focusing on each swing and shot,” Gedeon said. “So the second day I just let everything happen the way I planned it would, taking one shot at a time and making sure I make good swings on my shot.”

Sophomores Gabrielle Sacheli and Samantha Moyal comprised the rest of the Knights scorecard. Sacheli led the team with 22 pars and finished tied for 57th carding a 163 while Moyal finished tied for 79th carding a 169.

Sophomores Melanie Chambers and Racquel Zurick also competed for the Knights as individuals. Chambers finished tied for 28th, carding a 158, while Zurick finished tied for 36th with a 160.

Delaware won the Invitational with a 603, surpassing defending tournament champion Seton Hall by five strokes. The Pirates’ Erin McClure won individual honors with a two-over-par score of 146 and recorded one of only two eagles in the tournament.

By Sean Stewart