Knights focus on details for first home team meet

After an impressive performance at the Sonny Werblin Invitational last weekend, the Rutgers swimming and diving team looks to translate that success to the first dual meet of the season.

The Scarlet Knights open their competitive schedule today against Wagner at the RU Aquatic Center.

“There is a different mindset that we are going to need to have going into a dual meet,” said head coach Phil Spiniello “We are going to have to show up and race.”

Wagner (3-0) is a good test for Rutgers, entering this meet with an undefeated record in the early part of the season.

The Seahawks also feature the NEC Swimmer of the Week, senior Meredith Ketchmark, who swims in the 500 freestyle and the 400 free relay.

“It’s going to be a pretty good meet,” said senior Mary Moser, who posted several top-two finishes at last weekend’s Sonny Werblin Invite. “They have some swimmers who’ve posted fast times, but we have a very deep team.”

Rutgers comes off of an impressive performance at the Sonny Werblin Invitational that led to several top-three finishers.

Spiniello noted that the races could have been better.

“We’ve spent a lot of time this week working on the details of our swims,” he said.

Another notable turn of events from last weekend was a change in the relays.

“I changed the teams to see what was going on, who worked with each other and to see where some people were in training,” Spiniello said.

He quickly shot down the notion of switching things up for today’s meet against Wagner.

“To be perfectly honest, we won’t be messing with the teams,” Spiniello said, “The best teams will be on the blocks for this meet.”

Senior Nicole leads Rutgers’ divers in the dual meet.

Scott won both diving events last weekend, but freshman Rebecca Gross debuted solidly, finishing second to Scott in both events.

“Rebecca has been a fun addition to the team,” Scott said, “She brings a lot of energy to practice and pushes us to get better.”

It will not be all work for the Knights this weekend as the team will participate in the annual Alumni Meet in honor of Homecoming Weekend before the football game. Rutgers swimmers and divers past and present will compete against each other.

“This is a fun meet for the team to get some alumni back to compete, which does a great job in bringing the entire program together,” Spiniello said.

This will not be the typical meet for the team as the alumni will have some special rules during the races.

“In the swimming portion, the alumni will get a head start of one second for every year since they graduated,” Spiniello said. “The divers normally look to put on a diving exhibition, which is a real crowd pleaser.”

For updates on the swimming and diving team follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Jim Mooney