New details emerge for Barnwell arrest

Freshman cornerback Nadir Barnwell was charged with driving while intoxicated and careless driving by the Rutgers University Police Department on Sunday after his involvement in a single-car accident.

Barnwell, who Rutgers head football coach Kyle Flood suspended for at least the Scarlet Knights’ next game against Temple, was arrested at 3:30 a.m. after police responded to a single vehicle crash on the corner of Route 18 North and Campus road, according to a statement to The Star-Ledger by Lt. Paul Fischer.

There was property damage at the scene, according to The Star-Ledger.

Flood has not addressed the specific charge as of yesterday. He suspended Barnwell for violating team rules.

“My plans are for it to be for this week, but it’s not finalized yet,” Flood said Sunday via teleconference.

Barnwell, a Piscataway native, has started four games this season, including the Knights’ 49-14 loss Saturday against Houston. He has started every game since Rutgers’ 28-24 victory against Arkansas.

Without Barnwell, Rutgers has just four cornerbacks — junior Gareef Glashen, redshirt freshman Jevon Tyree and true freshman Anthony Cioffi and Delon Stephenson — for Saturday.

Flood marked Glashen and Cioffi as starters. Cioffi and Tyree are listed probable with an upper body injury and a virus, respectively.