Rutgers ends season with last-place finish

The Rutgers women’s golf team placed last at the 15-team Hoosier Invitational yesterday in Greenwood, Ind., to close its season.

The result marks the second time this season the Scarlet Knights have finished last place in a Big Ten-hosted event. They also ended the Penn State Invitational on Sept. 29 at the bottom of the field.

UC Davis won the Invitational with a team score of 868, exceeding second-place Illinois by 16 strokes and third-place Louisville by 19. The Aggies also captured individual medalist honors as Betty Chen carded a three-under par with a 210 scorecard.

While the Knights are disappointed to finish the fall season poorly, head coach Maura Ballard stressed the team’s youth.

“They were really difficult conditions probably the most difficult we have played in a few years,” Ballard said. “I think because they’re so young it came to a shock to them to play in these kinds of conditions.”

The Knights carded a 947 in the three-round tournament. Sophomore Samantha Moyal led the team with a 231 scorecard to finish tied for 49th in the 96-player field.

The second round of the tournament was scheduled for Saturday but was rescheduled to yesterday because of darkness.

Despite the change of schedule, Moyal surprisingly performed better in the final two rounds, shooting a 75 and 77 after carding a 79 in the first round. It was the Alameda, Calif., native’s best finish since the Yale Intercollegiate on Sept. 22, when she finished tied for 16th.

Freshman Taylor Clark and sophomore Jackie Mullens finished behind Moyal for the Knights. Clark and Mullens paced the Knights entering the second round, as both were tied for 28th.

But the duo could not improve on its first-round scores. Clark finished tied for 76th, carding a 237 while Mullens finished tied for 80th with a 239.

For Mullens, it was a big drop-off from her eighth-place finish Tuesday at the Rutgers Women’s Invitational.

With the fall season coming to a close Ballard believes there will be tremendous growth heading into spring.

“I think the girls know what’s going to be asked of them heading forward and they’re anxious to put the time in to improve.”

By Sean Stewart