Get involved in RUSA to have your voice heard

Commentary

Over the past couple of weeks, the Rutgers University Student Assembly, or RUSA, has been trying to figure out what is really on student’s minds when it comes to issues that they face at the University. The student government is comprised of only sixty students with sixty unique viewpoints. In order for RUSA to know what students want to see fixed at the University, we need to hear from you!

One of the best ways to share your thoughts with us right now is the What’s On Your Mind Survey. Please be sure to take the survey before it closes at 11:59 PM on Wednesday November 27, 2013. This survey can be found at the student government website ruassembly.com. It takes between five and eight minutes to complete, and in return every student will receive a voucher for a free small cup of coffee, tea, or hot chocolate from Gerlanda’s Café that can be redeemed in the Busch Campus Center or the Rutgers Student Center until Friday December 13, 2013. In addition, every respondent will be entered into a contest for a larger prize. This prize is the winner’s choice of any one of the following: up to $500 in Barnes & Noble Rutgers textbooks, a 55 meal University meal plan, or a brand-new bicycle. Three students will be selected and they are all allowed to choose any of the three options.

The results of the survey will guide RUSA in setting its agenda for the Spring 2014 semester. Some of the topics on which we need more student feedback, through the survey, are making Rutgers smoke-free campus, transportation and bussing issues, safety concerns, student center expansions, and dining services issues. The student government will be giving a presentation about the findings from the data at the RUSA General Body meeting on Thursday, January 23, 2014. Everyone is welcome at this meeting – if you are not able to make this meeting you can locate the findings from the survey on our website after the January 23 meeting.

The student government is always looking for more students to get involved in making the University a more student-friendly place. If you are interested in becoming more involved in RUSA or have a concern that you would like to report the best way to come in contact with us is via email at rusa.assembly@gmail.com. And of course, always feel free to drop by office hour, in Room 438 of the Rutgers Student Center on Thursdays and Fridays from 3:00 PM to 5:00 PM.

Ian Wolf is a School of Arts and Science Senior majoring in history/political science and sociology.

By Ian Wolf