RU wins first road game of year in Boston

528439c13175c.image
Photo by Tian Li |

Sophomore guard Briyona Canty collected 12 points, two steals, five assists and five boards in Rutgers’ 65-51 win yesterday.

Rutgers women’s basketball head coach C. Vivian Stringer said on Media Day on Oct. 24 the Scarlet Knights expect to be vastly different this season.

They are off to a good start.

The Knights already have half as many road wins as they accumulated all of last season.

Any doubts of Rutgers’ offensive success Sunday against Princeton being a product of the Louis Brown Athletic Center were quickly gone yesterday in Boston.

Photo: Tian Li

Sophomore guard Kahleah Copper tallied her first-career double-double yesterday.

The Knights rolled to a 65-51 win against Northeastern (1-1) behind three double-figure scorers, as Rutgers never trailed for the second consecutive game.

Sophomore guard Kahleah Copper and junior forward Betnijah Laney finished with double-doubles, becoming the first pair of Knights since 2011 to finish with double-digit points and rebounds.

Copper again led the Knights (2-0) in points (26) on 69-percent shooting, while Laney recorded a career-high of 13 rebounds.

As it did against Princeton, Rutgers distanced itself with a strong second half.

Four minutes into the period, the Knights busted out a 16-0 run to extend their halftime lead to 51-31. Copper scooped three lay-ups during the surge, while sophomore guard Briyona Canty contributed a 3-pointer.

The Huskies responded with an 11-4 run, but it was not nearly enough for a comeback, as the Knights held on during the final six minutes.

Even with only 38 percent shooting in the first half, Rutgers jumped out to a 31-26 lead at the break.

The Huskies went on a 14-4 run to cut the lead to 20-19 with 6:17 left in the half. Center Jewel Tunstull, who finished with 18 points and 14 rebounds, fueled the rally.

But that was as close as Northeastern cmae to pulling ahead all afternoon, as Copper promptly sank consecutive buckets to build another 5-point cushion.

Northeastern shot 29 percent in the period and committed 22 turnovers, giving Rutgers instant momentum.

The Knights started the contest on a 12-2 run, as the Huskies turned the ball over four times during the stretch. Copper and Laney combined for 6 of the team’s first 7 points.

Canty put together another solid performance in her second game back from knee surgery early last season, finishing with 12 points, five rebounds, five assists and two steals in 38 minutes.

Freshman point guard Tyler Scaife, who scored 13 points in her collegiate debut against Princeton, shot only 1-for-7 from the field for 4 points in 18 minutes. She also tallied two rebounds and three assists.

Rutgers returns to the RAC this Sunday against LaSalle.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s basketball team, follow Greg Johnson on Twitter @GregJohnsonRU. For general Rutgers sports updates, follow @TargumSports.

By Greg Johnson