October 18, 2018 | ° F

Smith places second during weekend open

5281b3100ab06.image

Sophomore heavyweight Billy Smith lost in the finals to a familiar Penn State foe.

Billy Smith and Jimmy Lawson met on the mat before Saturday’s heavyweight final at the 2013 Jonathan Kaloust Bearcat Open, formerly known as the Binghamton Open.

Lawson registered a reversal on Smith within the last three seconds in overtime last season, capturing a 3-2 decision to cap the Nittany Lions’ 34-0 victory against Rutgers at the Louis Brown Athletic Center.

Smith forced Lawson into another overtime period, but failed to capture a victory against last year’s NCAA qualifier.

“I’m glad he went after it,” said head coach Scott Goodale. “… That’s what Jimmy was waiting for, he was waiting for Billy to take a shot. That’s what Jimmy does a good job with: he waits for someone to go after his legs, but Billy went after it anyway.”

Photo: Enrico Cabredo

Freshman 125-pounder Scott DelVecchio posted a 7-1 record Sunday at the Binghamton Open en route to a third-place finish.

With the match tied, 1-1, Smith attempted an attack at Lawson’s legs, but Lawson produced a takedown of Smith to secure a 3-1 victory in the heavyweight championship bout.

Although Smith’s grapping impressed Goodale, he wanted Smith to win for obvious reasons.

Smith lost in similar fashion the last time they met, with Smith producing an escape against Lawson in overtime to go up, 2-1, on the Toms River, N.J., native.

But Lawson registered a reversal with seconds remaining to stun the nearly 4,000 fans in attendance.

Goodale also remembers that bout, as he and Lawson traded words after Lawson saluted the RAC crowd, following the raising of his hand.

He made it clear that was not on his mind Saturday when Smith had another chance to defeat Lawson, who Goodale recruited to compete at Rutgers.

“I didn’t even think about it [Sunday],” Goodale said. “I think our guys and our staff try to win every time out, so it would have been nice to get that win because he is highly ranked, so I was thinking more in that regard than last year.”

Smith was the Scarlet Knights’ highest finisher, but was not the only player to impress Goodale in Rutgers’ first open of the season.

Freshmen Scott DelVecchio and Corey Stasenko respectively placed third and fourth in their weight classes.

DelVecchio, a 125-pounder, capped a 7-1 weekend with a 5-2 decision against Binghamton’s David White, who defeated DelVecchio, 4-3, in the first round. Stasenko, a 141-pounder finished fourth after a 4-2 showing.

Sophomore 197-pounder Hayden Hrymack suffered a fall in the second round against Penn State’s Morgan Mcinstosh. But he rallied six straight victories, including a 9-5 decision against Cornell’s Steve Congenie, to capture third in his weight class.

Hrymack finished the open 7-1, continuing his impressive start to the young season. Hrymack secured a crucial pin Nov. 3 against Hofstra to lead Rutgers to a 22-21 dual victory against the Pride.

“It’s huge,” Goodale said. “We need production out of that weight to be successful and he’s been more than that. It’s only two weeks in, but he’s pinning people and scoring bonus points and that’s awesome. He’s not just winning, he’s winning big.”

Knight Note: Goodale said senior 133-pounder Vincent Dellefave will be ready for Rutgers’ dual match Sunday against Boston University.

Dellefave missed the past two weeks with a wrist injury, and Goodale said the Toms River, N.J., native will start against the Terriers barring a setback.

“He’s good to go,” Goodale said.

For updates on the Rutgers wrestling team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @Bradly_D. For general Rutgers sports updates, follow @TargumSports.