October 16, 2018 | ° F

Syndicated Lifestyle Boutique

528ebedbbecf7.image

The inside of George Street's Syndicated Lifestyle Boutique has a SoHo-inspired atmosphere. Courtesy of Facebook

From Mexican giant Chipotle to the handcrafted beers of Harvest Moon Brewery, George Street is known for its diverse offering of local shops, chain restaurants and everything in between.

The street’s newest addition to the retail scene boasts SoHo-inspired decor, clothing and art. Syndicated Lifestyle Boutique, which opened in 2012, is a shop for the creative souls of Hub City.

Owner Matthew Shubitz wanted to create an atmosphere comfortable enough for patrons and friends to want to drop by, shop casually and spend some time hanging out, he said.

The Brooklyn native works alongside five other men at the store, selling urban street wear style and urban art supplies. “We promote and showcase works by local artists, designers and performance artists, so we really are much more than a clothing store,” Shubitz said.

Syndicated sells well-known and local brands alike, from big labels such as Obey and Pharell’s Billionaire Boys Club to New Brunswick brands like Qilo lining the shelves of the store. “When people see that we are promoting the local designers as well as established brands, quite often they get psyched about the Jersey guys gear,” Shubitz said.

The modern store also sells what Shubitz calls “gift items” – household items that have some sort of twist to them, Shubitz explained. These include crocodile head oven mitts or coin purses shaped like tacos.

Mason Gross School of the Arts students can even find many of the necessary supplies listed on their syllabus at Syndicated, Schubitz said. Syndicated can even accommodate special orders.

The motorcycle-riding and music-loving retailer wanted to give the store a name that could be taken a few different ways.

“I felt that Syndicated could give an impression of a gentleman gangster… ties, tails and spats gangsters,” Shubitz said. “Not jeans-hanging-low gangstas.”

Since 1972, Shubitz has been fortunate to work in many retail markets, including hippie, disco and hip-hop clothing stores.

“I wanted to create a retail store that could be a real career opportunity for the guys that I work with and others like them,” Shubitz said about the men who are often overlooked by more corporate types.

This dream became reality in ‘08 when the Syndicated team opened up their first store in Union, he said. Today, Shubitz is thrilled to be so close to the University’s main campus..

“When I look at our new store in New Brunswick, I feel like we’ve really designed the Flagship Store that we set out to create,” he said.

According to Schubitz, regulars at the store are mostly college-aged who come from the local neighborhood and surrounding suburbs.

“But we have lot of friends and customers coming in regularly from New York City and the boroughs,” he said. “As I keep telling people, you can’t get this stuff just everywhere, ya know?”

Location: 342B George Street, New Brunswick, NJ 08901

Facebook: www.facebook.com/SyndicatedNJ

Twitter: @SyndicatedNJ

Instagram: instagram.com/SYNDICATEDNJ

Ana Catarina Pereira