Undersized Milewski to get first-career start at defensive tackle following shoulder injury to Hamilton

It has been a gradual transformation for David Milewski, and one that three ACL surgeries made no easier.

The Sayreville, N.J., native went from a 215-pound freshman linebacker to a 250-pound junior defensive end.

But almost suddenly, Milewski thrust into a starting role at defensive tackle for the Rutgers football team.

Milewski admitted he did not expect that when the season began.

“Probably not, but as the season’s progressed, I feel like my role has continued to grow and that’s what I was looking for,” Milewski said.

That role has increased since the Scarlet Knights’ first game Aug. 29 at Fresno State, where Milewski said he played anywhere from 60-70 snaps at defensive end in the loss.

Milewski has rotated in at both defensive end and tackle as the season has gone on, recording his first sack of the season Oct. 5 against Southern Methodist.

In eight games this season, all in a reserve role, Milewski has 19 tackles and 1.5 tackles for loss.

“My whole goal for this season was to be that swing guy who could play different positions to fill depth issues and play where I’m needed,” Milewski said.

He will be needed Saturday at the three-technique defensive tackle position against Cincinnati. Sophomore Darius Hamilton, the regular starter at the three-technique, is listed doubtful against the Bearcats with a shoulder injury.

While Hamilton, who at 6-foot-4 and 260 pounds is considered an undersized tackle, Milewski’s 240-pound frame could give him even more problems in the trenches, especially against Cincinnati’s offensive line. The unit’s center and two guards, whom Milewski will line up against for the majority of the game, average 290 pounds.

But he looks at the size difference as an advantage.

“I’m relatively tall, so I have to make sure I keep my frame down,” Milewski said. “My pad level is so important, especially with me being a light guy, down low. What kind of helps me is my quickness and movement.”

Milewski has played defensive tackle in the Knights’ past two games, but the added starting responsibility means more contact and less chance for breathers.

His teammates think he can handle it.

“He’s a tough kid. He’s about the details and about fighting,” said senior defensive tackle Isaac Holmes. “That’s really all you need down there to play in the trenches. He’s that all-purpose role player. He’s willing to do whatever you ask him to do and that’s what we need right now.”

Head coach Kyle Flood also shares that sentiment, though at this point thanks to depth issues, he really has no other choice.

Flood said sophomore defensive lineman Max Issaka, who missed the Knights’ first six games, will also see time behind Milewski.

Rutgers’ normal reserve at that position, junior Kenneth Kirksey, has missed the past month with a tricep injury.

“I think David can certainly handle it. David is valuable to us,” Flood said. “He plays a lot on third down, as well. As you get to November, every week, the depth of your program is going to be tested. And it’s not just us, it’s everybody in the country.”

When Milewski takes the field tomorrow, it will be his first start.

He never envisioned his first-career start coming at defensive tackle. After two positional changes and three ACL injuries, he will take what he can get.

“The chance now to have an opportunity to start is a blessing and I’ll continue to try and make the most of it,” Milewski said. “… It’s such a long road, to come back from the ACLs and stuff, it’s kind of surreal to look back at now. I’m just like a little kid playing football again.”

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow Bradly Derechailo on Twitter @Bradly_D. For general Rutgers sports updates, follow @TargumSports.