Christie elected to second term

52a7d9cd37af8.image
Photo by Marielle Sumergido |

Gov. Christie won  60 percent of votes in the Nov. 5 gubernatorial election.

The crowd at the Asbury Park Convention Hall cheered as Gov. Chris Christie delivered his victory speech on the night of Nov. 5. The Republican, who got re-elected as the governor of New Jersey, defeated Democratic candidate Barbara Buono with 60 percent of the votes.

Christie stated that during his second term, he aims to bring major education reform and tax cuts.

“I did not seek a second term to do small things,” he said. “I sought a second term to finish the job. Now watch me do it.”

Praised for his leadership and reconstruction efforts during Hurricane Sandy, the governor built a winning coalition by aggressively courting constituencies that often shun the Grand Old Party — minorities, women and even Democrats, who outnumber Republicans among registered voters by more than three to two, according to the Associated Press.

During his term as governor, Christie enforced measures to assist public school teachers with tenure, according to nj.com. He also introduced merit pay in Newark to allow teachers in difficult subjects or low-performing schools to earn more money.

In regards to the University, he approved the merger between Rutgers and the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. He also expressed his advocacy for the Development, Relief, and Education for Alien Minors Act, which the Senate approved on Nov.18.

Although the governor vetoed the legislation that would raise minimum wage from $7.25 an hour to $8.25, after his re-election, the bill for raising minimum wage was passed and will be in effect from January 2014.

Christie also appealed against the same-sex marriage law. The appeal was dropped and the law was passed making New Jersey the 14th state in the nation to approve the legislation.

Christie’s re-election also reflected light on his clear intentions to run for the next presidential election. This became evident when in his speech he said Washington could learn from what he has done in New Jersey.

By Vaishali Gauba