Yule Log ceremony embodies traditions of Douglass women

Letter to the Editor

Douglass Residential College, above many other characteristics, is known for its commitment to honoring old traditions and customs. Among many of those time-honored traditions is “Yule Log,” which takes place close to the start of the holiday season. This event has been a part of the college’s history since its opening in 1918, although it was not until 1927 that it was held in the chapel. The event began when students at Douglass, approaching their first holiday/winter season, were asked to burn a Yule Log and illuminate a tree in front of College Hall. Over the years, this tradition has adapted and changed, but we still stay close to the traditions of the Douglass women before us.

Today, this event still stays strong in its traditional roots, while having adapted to the wide range of students at Douglass. All readings and songs that are presented at the ceremony strongly embody the diversity of the women at Douglass Residential College. This year, Douglass will celebrate this year’s Yule Log with a theme of highlighting human dignity and standing strong with Douglass’ commitment to support and promote women’s rights.

Yule Log will take place on Sunday Dec. 8 at 4:45 at Voorhees Chapel on Douglass campus. The ceremony will feature readings and songs, courtesy of the Voorhees Choir. A reception will follow in the Douglass Campus Center, with refreshments and dessert. Raffle prizes will be awarded as well that night, and we invite all students to come out to this event to support a longstanding tradition.

Plus, there will be free cake. Need I say more?

Inayah Lakhani is a School of Arts and Sciences sophomore.

By Inayah Lakhani