Fraternity fundraises $14,000 for charity excursion to Jamaica

52e0872ec052a.image
Photo by Courtesy of Kamran Khaliq |

The Delta Upsilon Fraternity raised $14,000 with the meal swipes program, breaking a record for the most raised by any Delta

Upsilon chapter internationally.

The Delta Upsilon Fraternity raised well more than their previous record of $8,000 last semester for the Global Service Initiative with their meal swipes fundraising program.

Delta Upsilon President, Cosimo Laterza, announced that at the close of the fall semester they raised $14,810, shattering their goal of $10,000.  

Laterza, a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences senior, said he was proud that his fraternity could team up and achieve such a feat, while redefining the stereotypical “frat guy” mold.

The Global Service Initiative is a charitable organization created by the Delta Upsilon Fraternity, said Kamran Khaliq, vice president of recruitment.

Photo: Courtesy of Kamran Khaliq

The brothers visited a school in Jamaica last year to help build infrastructure in the area. They hope to return this year to work on a dining pavilion. Delta Upsilon created Global Service Initiative, which they hope to expand with their new funds.

“The GSI uses fundraised amounts to purchase building supplies which allows brothers to engage in direct service to communities in need,” he said.

Khaliq, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said his brothers have been to New Orleans and most recently Jamaica, and plan to continue to participate in these philanthropic events upon the success of their meal swipes program.

The brothers of Delta Upsilon collected meal swipes from students at the dining halls on each campus at specific times during the week, said Khaliq.

“Every brother in the fraternity put hours of dedication into ensuring that we exceeded our initial goal of raising $10,000,” he said. “We, the Rutgers chapter, wanted to raise more than any Delta Upsilon chapter previously has for this cause.”

The fraternity has fundraised for many events and organizations including the Boys and Girls Club, the Children’s Miracle Network, Dance Marathon and H.E.A.R.T. 9/11. He said all of the money raised this time went strictly toward the cost of building supplies and equipment for the school buildings in Jamaica.

Matthew Lucciola, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, said he and Corey Hort, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, had applied for the program through the Rutgers University Student Assembly to gain their support.

Lucciola, the exiting vice president of philanthropy, said in his pitch, he discussed what the Global Service Initiative does and how they planned to help build schools in the surrounding areas of Negril, Jamaica. Their future plans include more work there because he is passionate about the people.  

“The GSI gives children hope,” he said. “The educational system in Jamaica is very different from the one here.”

The money raised went toward the dining pavilion because it has one of the highest success rates of getting kids into high school, and would hopefully work to improve Jamaica’s 30 percent unemployment rate, Lucciola said.

“The kids are so grateful because they know what we’re doing for them,” he said.

Lucciola said since they have set the bar high, the future looks bright as they hope to break their own records and amplify their presence on campus.

“The plan now is to continue to raise money for the Global Service Initiative. Corey Hort, the new vice president of Philanthropy, has some great ideas that will be unfolding in the upcoming semester,” he said.

Lucciola’s commitment to the GSI has made the prospect of their success so important to him, he said.

Because they raised even more than what they had initially expected, he said the extra money would provide funding to a second project. This new project is in the works and should lead to further development.  

“This means the world to me,” Lucciola said. “And because we have worked with the administer of education in Jamaica, the leftover money will be used for something new, being whatever he decides necessary.”  

According to Khaliq, this fundraising success is just another achievement for the Rutgers Delta Upsilon chapter this year. For the second consecutive year, the chapter won the Four Star Chapter Excellence Award, and initiated the most members into the greek honors society Gamma Sigma Alpha.

“I’m extremely fortunate to be a part of a fraternity that has consistently excelled in every way possible,” he said. “In just three short years, we have won awards that fraternities often need years to work towards. We have a proven track record in setting goals, and exceeding them.”

By Connie Capone