Fresh Grocer to no longer remain open 24 hours

Much to the disappointment of New Brunswick residents and Rutgers students, the Fresh Grocer no longer plans to be open 24 hours. The supermarket that remained open 24 hours even on holidays, for more than a year, plans to now be open from 7 a.m. to 10 p.m., according to a New Brunswick Today article.

The Fresh Grocer, located on Kirkpatrick Street, was New Brunswick’s only 24-hour supermarket and implemented the change beginning Jan. 26.

The store sold its brand name to Wakefern Food Corporation, the largest Retailers’ co-operative group of supermarkets in the United States. Wakefern Food Corpration not only introduced ShopRite products in the store, but also enforced the new operating hours.

The new hours “are better suited to the neighborhood and the times at which our customers are working and commuting via the nearby train station,” said Wakfern Food Corporation’s spokeswoman Santina Stankevich, in the article.

Stankevich said no employees were laid off due to the changes in time and the store employed “more than 200 associates” as of November.

Mitch Karon, the executive director of the New Brunswick Parking Authority, said in the article that the cut in operating hours did not impact Fresh Grocer’s lease, which requires opening between 9 a.m. and 8 p.m.

By Vaishali Gauba