LeGrand completes labor studies degree

52e099a4178a9.image
Photo by Marielle Sumergido |

Eric LeGrand was 60 credits away from graduation when he suffered his paralyzing injury in 2010.

Eric LeGrand has continued to inspire fans around the country with steady progress in his fight against paralysis.

He received the Jimmy V Perseverance Award at the 2012 ESPYS and most recently had his No. 52 jersey retired at the Rutgers football team’s home opener Sept. 14.

Now LeGrand has one more accomplishment to add to his perseverance.

The former defensive tackle confirmed on Twitter yesterday that he completed his degree at the University.

“Thank you for the congratulations on finishing my degree at Rutgers,” LeGrand tweeted. “Definitely has been a journey since I got hurt but I did it #noexcuses.”

Several prominent people congratulated LeGrand, including head coach Kyle Flood and former Athletic Director Tim Pernetti.

“Congrats to my friend @ericlegrand52 on finishing your college degree. So proud. So inspired,” Pernetti tweeted. “#bELieve.”

LeGrand was 60 credits shy of graduation when he suffered his life-threatening injury in 2010. He steadily worked toward a degree in labor studies since January 2011.

He now looks to pursue a career in sports broadcasting. He is currently partnered with IMG College as a color analyst for Rutgers football games.

“Now it’s time for me to take the next step,” LeGrand told ScarletReport.com. “We’ll see where I can go with my broadcasting. What’s the next step for me now? Maybe I’ll be working with big networks. I’m going to keep working to get to the big time.”

In his recovery from paralysis, he also continues to promote Team LeGrand, which supports stem cell research for a cure.

“Team LeGrand has been great,” LeGrand told ScarletReport.com. “It’s amazing. We’ve just got to keep on going now, keep on pushing. The next stage is planning an event. Hopefully we’ll have an event planned for the spring. We’re trying to bring in a lot of money. That’s the next big thing to happen.”

By Greg Johnson