Dating on a dime: Dining in New Brunswick this V-day

When living on a budget as a college student you might not be able to take that special some one out as often as you would like, but this is the one time of year that budget should not limit you from having the romantic dinner you have been waiting for.

Luckily, you will not have to go far from campus to do this. New Brunswick restaurants are offering plenty of deals for couples trying to have a night on the town this Valentine’s Day. If you do not live on the College Avenue Campus, just hop on the bus to any of the College Ave stops and these holiday packages are but walking distance away.

GEORGE STREET ALE HOUSE

Located at 378 George St., the George Street Ale House is just a few feet away from an EE bus stop. A gastropub with a number of drink specials offered every night, the restaurant is offering a $70 couples special for Valentine’s Day. This deal includes a glass of champagne, a small salad, an

appetizer, an entrée and dessert. Salad choices are house or Caesar plus an appetizer. The appetizers include bacon-wrapped scallops, a short rib crostini or half shell oysters. For the main course, couples can order a petit filet with butter poached lobster, stuffed chicken breast with brioche chestnut stuffing or pan seared salmon. For dessert, bartender Mailey Sumida said Ale House is offering what they call “chocolate covered favorites,” which is the diner’s choice of chocolate-covered marshmallows, strawberries, pound cake or pretzel bites.

TULA

A different atmosphere can be found at Tula Restaurant and Lounge, located at 47 Easton Ave. Tula boasts romantic vibes in their laid back lounge with a live jazz band playing all throughout dinner. For $45 per person, Tula is offering a three-course meal this Valentine’s Day. For an appetizer, diners have the option of cabbage soup, baby spinach salad, an artisan cheese sampler, a crispy vegetable wonton or the basa ceviche, which Tula server Eric Laff described as “raw fish with lemon, avocado, cilantro and onion.”

Choices for the main course include oven-roasted organic chicken, poached Scottish salmon, truffle mushroom risotto, crab cake or Montreal hanger steak. Couples also get a complimentary glass of champagne at Tula. Couples must make a reservation at Tula to take advantage of their Valentine’s Day special.

STEAKHOUSE 85

For couples in search of a steak dinner, Steakhouse 85, located at 85 Church St., is offering a three course special at $99 per couple, a special they offer every Friday night. This special includes a choice of three different appetizers, such as calamari, baby spinach salad and the soup of the day. For the entree, couples have the option of filet mignon, crab-encrusted grouper, pan-roasted chicken breast or free-range pork chop. For dessert, Steakhouse 85 is offering crème brulee or a caramel apple tart. Unlike Tula or George Street Ale House, this special includes one whole bottle of wine off of the restaurant’s short list as opposed to a single glass. Along with dinner, a live jazz band will be playing. Manager Chris Tobia said the openings for reservations are limited.

MAKEDA

For couples who want to try something adventurous and

different this Valentine’s Day, Makeda Ethiopian Restaurant offers foreign food and live music. Makeda, located at 338 George St., does not offer Valentine’s Day specials, but their usual dinner menu is being served. Starting at 10 p.m. on Fridays and Saturdays, artists perform reggae, R&B, salsa and African music.

By Erin Walsh