April 22, 2018 | ° F

Knights ‘D’ steps up behind goalie swap

The Rutgers women’s lacrosse team opened the season yesterday with one objective — to start 1-0.

The Scarlet Knights achieved this yesterday with a 6-3 win against Manhattan at the RU Turf Complex.

The game was originally scheduled for Saturday at Manhattan, but inclement weather over the weekend caused the game to be moved to yesterday at Rutgers.

Despite the schedule change, the Knights earned their first win.

The Jaspers kept it close for much of the contest, until Rutgers pulled away after junior Lauren Sbrilli scored the go-ahead goal with 12:56 left in the second half to make it 4-3.

Senior attacker Katrina Martinelli got the scoring going for Rutgers with a goal 10 minutes into the game, and junior midfielder Jenny Vlahos added another 53 seconds later to get the Knights out to an early 2-0 lead.

Each finished with two goals in the game, with senior Megan Clements and Sbrilli adding one apiece.

The most impressive aspect of the game was the defensive output from Rutgers.

The Knights limited Manhattan to just three goals in the game.

Both goalies for Rutgers saw playing time in the game, reinforcing the plan head coach Laura Brand-Sias had set out for the team coming into the season.

Junior Candice Dandridge started the first half for the Knights.

She had two saves on the game and two goals allowed before redshirt freshman Amanda Currell came in for the second half.

Currell racked up five saves and allowed only one goal in the second half.

The goalies will continue to split time going forward.

The next game for Rutgers is against Fairfield on Feb. 22, when they will look to keep its early momentum going.

For updates on the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Conor Nordland