Senior uses win to gain momentum

530c0bfe7cc7f.image
Photo by Tian Li |

Senior 184-pounder Dan Seidenberg won his first match in a month against Drexel on Friday after only wrestling twice in that span.

While the concept of wrestling for the EIWA seeding has almost been brought to the point of overkill in the amount of times it has been stressed — but for good reason — it is tough to put a finger on Dan Seidenberg’s season.

The fifth-year senior has had as many ups as he has had downs this season.

Seidenberg started out his season coming off a shoulder injury, which he sustained last year that had him in and out of the lineup all year at 197 pounds.

The Red Bank, N.J., native chose to rehab his injury instead of undergoing surgery, which would have sidelined him for four-to-six months, in order to have a chance to be more productive than a season ago.

Seidenberg started out the season exactly how he wanted — winning six out of his first eight matches.

Since then, Seidenberg has leveled out his play and has grappled to an 11-11 overall record, reaching a 7-7 record in dual competition.

Only winning four out of his next 13 matches was not what Seidenberg had in mind, but it is not something all that rare in collegiate wrestling.

“It’s a long season, so obviously everyone has their ups and downs,” Seidenberg said. “Even at the highest levels, you see ranked guys getting picked off. It’s just all about peaking at the right time and coming out hot when it counts.”

With that on his mind, and only wrestling once — Feb. 8 against Lehigh — in a month, Seidenberg took the mat Friday against Drexel at the Louis Brown Athletic Center.

Seidenberg notched a takedown early in the first period and a reversal in the third period, plus rode out his opponent for nearly two and a half minutes to collect the 5-2 decision.

The decision brought the nearly 1,000 fans in attendance to their feet, as it was Seidenberg’s first win in over a month.

The win did much more for him.

“That’s just a whole momentum shift right there. I was out and had to deal with injuries a little bit,” Seidenberg said. “I just wanted to finish my last dual meet out strong and get a good momentum heading into the EIWAs.”

Extra work and competition in the room has benefitted Seidenberg.

The midseason addition of sophomore Ethan Orr has allowed Seidenberg to prepare better and give him a match off whenever needed, as Orr has been wrestling at 184 pounds on a few occasions.

For Orr, it is all about helping a teammate.

“I was trying to get Seidenberg ready a little bit for the EIWAs. Me and him work real hard in the room. We push each other,” Orr said. “He’s a little banged up here and there, so I’m happy to step in and give him a breather so he is ready to go, when it’s time to go.”

The rest is up to Seidenberg as postseason play approaches. The time is now for the fifth-year wrestler in his final season.

“[His rest] has been for some nagging injuries and more of a coach’s decision. Believe it or not, he is an old man and we have to keep him fresh,” said head coach Scott Goodale. “He’s got one big tournament left in his career and this needs to be the one to hopefully advance him to the NCAA tournament.”

By Tyler Karalewich