October 17, 2018 | ° F

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

Editorial

TERRIFIC TOURNAMENT

Last Friday, medical students held a charity hockey tournament to raise money for patients of pediatric cancer. They raised almost $15,000 for the Sean Hanna Foundation, founded by a Robert Wood Johnson Medical School alumnus in memory of his brother, who passed away from cancer at 20 years old. The organization raises funds for cancer research efforts and also supports pediatric cancer patients and their families. We laurel the efforts of these medical students and alumni to come together for such a worthy cause.

JURISDICTION FRICTION

Over the last few years, the New Brunswick and Rutgers police departments have had some issues with jurisdiction that led to redrawn maps between the two to set clearer boundaries for where the RUPD had the authority to patrol. Both departments should be communicating more with each other and with us, especially in light of all the serious crimes happening around the area. The police departments get this dart for not making this information publicly accessible 

WE LIKE BIKES

New Brunswick is planning to construct bike lanes across the Rutgers campus and around the city, and we’re excited to make use of them. In addition to these bike lanes, the University is also planning to improve on its bicycle-renting programs and install more bike racks to encourage use. We laurel these efforts to make it safer and easier to ride bikes around the area, especially on a campus as large as Rutgers.

FRESH GROCER FAILURE

We were already so upset when the Fresh Grocer announced it would no longer be open 24 hours, but now they’ve announced that they might actually be leaving New Brunswick for good. Apparently, they are $775,000 behind on rent, which for a business that size is just irresponsible. This dart goes to the Fresh Grocer for their apparent failure — we were really reliant on them, and there are very few quality grocery stores that are within a safe walking distance for those of us who live on campus.

RESPECTABLE RETIREMENT

Fred Hill recently announced his retirement after a 30-year career as the most successful head coach of the baseball team in Rutgers history. Hill was a passionate, dedicated coach and led the team to win more than 1,000 games and 12 conference championships. We laurel Hill’s exceptional career with the Scarlet Knights and hope that the team continues to excel under new leadership. 

SUPERFLUOUS SUBSIDIES 

We we were recently assured that the athletic department would be moving toward complete financial independence as we transition into the Big Ten conference. But apparently, the department received almost $47 million from the University — $9.9 million of which came from student fees. We dart the department for continuing to use so much of our money, despite Athletic Director Julie Hermann’s promises to “do more with less.”

By The Daily Targum