July 23, 2019 | 71° F

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

IN MEMORY OF MCCAW

On Wednesday night more than 100 people came together for a candlelight vigil held in William McCaw’s memory on the steps of Brower Commons on the College Avenue campus. The vigil was organized by the Pi Kappa Phi Fraternity that he was a part of before he transferred out of Rutgers earlier this semester. His death was a tragedy, but we laurel the Rutgers community for coming together during this time to commemorate his life.

MISSING MENUS

The online menus for the dining halls haven’t been updated for a week, and we’re annoyed. Maybe it sounds like a petty thing to whine about, but the dining hall service is one that we pay for, and yes, we’d really like to know what’s for takeout in advance. The dining halls get a dart for their disorganization — we seriously hope those menus are up again soon

OLD QUEENS GOING GREEN

Going green really does pay off, and we’re proud to say that our University is a great example of this. Over the last four years, Rutgers has saved $41 million through participation in projects such as waste reduction, energy conservation and the use of alternative energy. We have a School of Environmental and Biological Sciences at Rutgers, so we laurel the University for practicing what it preaches by actively participating in environmental efforts.

PARKING PROBLEMS

The amount of snow we’ve endured this winter is kind of unbelievable — but even more so is the fact that it’s still pretty difficult to find a parking spot that isn’t still piled up with snow. There’s nowhere to park on the streets, and the RUPD isn’t showing any leniency with ticketing if you leave your car in a parking deck instead. We know we’ve pointed this out already, but this snow situation is bad enough of a problem that it definitely gets a dart.

Big ten bucks

Rutgers finally closed its deal with the AAC to make the highly anticipated move into the Big Ten athletic conference. Leaving the AAC is costly, but Rutgers managed to cut it down from the original $15 million to $11.5 million, and in the long run, the move is expected to be worth it. This laurel goes to the University for saving millions on a (hopefully) valuable investment.

INCOMPLETE INVESTIGATION

We were all pretty disturbed to learn that a professor at Northwestern University is part of a lawsuit over allegations that he sexually assaulted one of his students —and then we learned that he is actually a candidate for a position here at Rutgers. This dart goes to the search committees that are supposed to be thoroughly investigating potential new hires to our University. We hope that the appropriate measures are taken to look into this case before any hiring decisions are made.

By The Daily Targum