Rand Paul reasonable replacement for Rice

Letter to Editor

I’d like to propose my own solution to the recent controversy aroused by the decision to have former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice deliver this year’s commencement address: invite Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) to deliver it instead. Paul not only opposes the Iraq war, but he opposes it so much he recently introduced a bill in the Senate that would repeal what started it in the first place. The open letter to President Robert L. Barchi that several professors recently wrote decried, among other things, Rice’s lack of humanitarian accomplishments. Senator Paul is well known for his charitable work. He regularly returns to his ophthalmology practice in Bowling Green, Ky., to perform free eye operations for patients unable to afford them. This is admittedly not on the level of developing a new vaccine that will save millions from death, but it is certainly evidence of a dedication to his fellow man that will inspire our graduates, particularly those heading toward the medical field. He has also been engaged in an active fight on behalf of minorities, advocating for the repeal of mandatory minimum sentencing laws, which disproportionally affect them. Inviting Senator Paul to deliver the 2014 commencement address would send a clear message about the University’s commitment to humanitarian and civic engagement that all members of the Rutgers community can be in favor of.

Ben Kusnetz is a School of Arts and Sciences first-year student majoring in political science.

By Ben Kusnetz