Rutgers extends win streak to three games at Atlantic Club

Riding a three-match winning streak, the Rutgers tennis team extended it four wins with its 5-2 victory yesterday over Fordham at the Atlantic Club in Manalapan, N.J.

The Scarlet Knights (11-4, 2-1) are now 5-0 in home matches this season and played under an alternate simultaneous format where the teams played one doubles match worth two points and five singles matches worth one point.

“We played some tough tennis today,” said head coach Ben Bucca in a statement. “This was a very convincing win against a solid Fordham team. We have a lot of momentum and are looking to our next conference match against UConn.”

The victory was never in doubt as the Knights won all five singles matchups and dropped the lone doubles contest against the Rams (6-6, 0-1).

Senior co-captain Vanessa Petrini sparked things for Rutgers, winning 6-2, 7-7 (2) victory in the top singles slot. Sophomore Gina Li played in the No. 2 slot and dominated 6-1, 6-1.

Fellow sophomore Lindsey Kayati also easily won her matchup in the No. 3 spot winning 6-0, 6-2, while senior co-captain Stefanie Balasa defeated Fordham’s No. 4 slot player 6-2, 6-2.

Freshman Farris Cunningham finished off proceedings by beating her opponent 6-0, 6-4, to conclude the convincing victory.

The Knights’ lone loss on the day came in the doubles matchup where the team of junior Lindsay Balsamo and sophomore Mariam Zein fell to Fordham’s Elliesa Ball and Sarah Ali 6-3, 4-6, 13-11.

The Knights previously topped Temple last Friday and Tulane on March 19, each by a score of 6-1. Their last loss came March 18 against Southeastern Louisiana.

Rutgers next plays Thursday afternoon against UConn in Storrs, Conn., which will conclude American Athletic Conference play for the Knights.

For updates on the Rutgers tennis team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.