Seagears opts to join group of transfers

Junior guards Jerome Seagears and D’Von Campbell and junior wing Craig Brown received transfer releases from the Rutgers men’s basketball team.

Seagears confirmed his transfer on Twitter.

“I have officially received my full release from Rutgers and free to go anywhere in the country,” Seagears tweeted. “Looking forward to what the future brings!”

Gannett confirmed Campbell’s and Brown’s transfer releases.

Seven Scarlet Knights decided to transfer between the end of Mike Rice’s final season and the beginning of this year. But Seagears and junior wing Malick Kone eventually decided to return.

Seagears came back after transferring to Auburn after last year, but his playing time progressively decreased in head coach Eddie Jordan’s first season.

Jordan and Seagears held discussions on his playing time, Jordan said. Seagears lost his starting job midseason to freshman wing Junior Etou, which gave junior Myles Mack more point guard responsibilities.

Seagears averaged 7.1 points per game this season but shot only 40 percent from the field.

But his and Campbell’s transfer releases diminish Rutgers’ point guard depth.

Campbell played 25 games, averaging 5.1 points per match.

He only shot 38.5 percent from the field and lacked consistency, but the junior college transfer provided guard depth.

Brown, who shot 28.6 percent from the field, rarely impacted the offense. But the Miami, Fla., native showed a tough defensive presence off the bench.

Fortunately for Rutgers, four newcomers are set to join next year.

The Knights also hold three more available scholarships.

Mike Williams, who signed his letter of intent, and Bishop Daniels are shooting guards who will aid Rutgers’ backcourt depth.

Center Ibrahima Diallo and power forward Dwayne Foreman — the other expected newcomers — contribute bodies to the frontcourt.

That will be necessary with the losses of forward Wally Judge and wing J.J. Moore to graduation and Brown to transfer.

For updates on the Rutgers men’s basketball team, follow Josh Bakan on Twitter @JoshBakan. For general Rutgers sports updates, follow @TargumSports.

By Josh Bakan