Wildcats’ offense overwhelms Rutgers

5338d1eb377fa.image

Senior attacker Megan Clements scored four goals in RU’s loss to Villanova. The total was a season high for Clements.

In the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team’s final conference opener in the Big East, Villanova snapped the Scarlet Knights’ three-game winning streak.

The Knights (6-5, 0-1) fell Saturday to the Wildcats (5-4, 1-0), 14-11. Despite multiple attempts to rally, the Knights could not contain Villanova’s attack and the Wildcats pulled away at the end of the game.

Senior attacker Megan Clements scored a season-high four goals for Rutgers, while sophomore attacker Kim Kolodny netted a hat trick.

Junior midfielder Halley Barnes and sophomore midfielder Kristin Kocher also added two goals apiece.

While the offensive output was impressive for Rutgers, the defensive performance was not up to the team’s standards.

Rutgers’ 14 goals allowed to the Wildcats tied the second-highest total the Knights have given up this season. Rutgers is allowing 9.55 goals per game, far from the defense that allowed close to two less goals per game last season.

Villanova had three players record hat tricks.

Midfielder Becca Hetrick, midfielder Shannon Galvin and attacker Ali Judge all found the back of the net three times.

The contest was evenly balanced on the stat sheet.

The Knights had the edge in shots, 34-26, and draw controls, 15-12. Villanova had the advantage in ground balls, 13-12, and turnovers, 7-10.

The game featured two lead changes and five ties.

The closest Rutgers came to winning was after Kocher scored her second goal of the game to tie it at 8 with 20:53 remaining in the second half.

Both goalies saw action again for the Knights. Freshman Amanda Currell started the game, while junior Candice Dandridge came in halfway through the second half.

Despite dropping its first game in the Big East, Rutgers has six games remaining to correct the mistakes made against Villanova.

For more updates on the Rutgers women’s lacrosse team, follow @TargumSports on Twitter.

By Conor Nordland