RUPD, NBPD to increase joint police presence in fifth, sixth wards

530c278ecfb56.image
Photo by File Photo |

The city of New Brunswick announced Aug. 22 that the Rutgers University Police Department and New Brunswick Police Department have increased the number of Neighborhood Police Team patrols in areas with high concentrations of off-campus student housing.

Initiated in March, the NPT approach has one RUPD officer and one NBPD officer team up in the same car to patrol the fifth and sixth wards.The murder of former Rutgers student Billy McCaw, whose body was found on Hartwell Street Feb. 15, prompted formation of the NPT. 

According to a city press release, additional two-man teams will now patrol the fifth and sixths wards on foot and by bicycle.

The number of officers deployed along with times they will patrol will depend on the day, according to the press release. The amount of teams will increase Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings and during Rutgers-sponsored events, including football games. 

Photo: .

Both departments received positive feedback from the NPT approach. 

New Brunswick Police Director Anthony A. Caputo said he wants to increase police presense in the area before students arrive for the fall semester

“I believe that direct one-on-one contact between the students and police provides a safer environment and an effective handling of quality of life issues which affect the students and residents,” he stated in the press release. 

Editor's Note: This article was originally published online on August 22, 2014.

Alexandra R. Meier