WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

STARTING OFF STRONG

Despite feeling like an underdog entering the Big Ten Conference, Rutgers football triggered a wave of Scarlet spirit when the team chopped Washington State last week. Although football is in the spotlight, the community cannot ignore Rutgers Athletics’ many victories this season. Men’s soccer, women’s soccer and field hockey are all undefeated so far. We laurel Rutgers Athletics for starting the season off strong and showing the Big Ten what the Scarlet Knights are made of. 

TRAY TROUBLES

To be frank, Targum editors have strong but polarized opinions on this subject. The majority of campus dining halls (minus Brower) nixed trays this semester, and many editors see this as a progressive measure. Without trays, students will not longer be incentivized to haul wasteful mountains of food to their tables, and staffers won’t need to waste gallons of water cleaning trays. But the less socially reasonable majority rules: We dart the dining halls. Meal plans are already too expensive, and we feel scammed when we’re forced to balance plates, silverware and glasses along with our laptops and books.

ART FOR ALL

You no longer need to be the next Picasso to dabble into the fine arts at Rutgers. This semester, the Mason Gross School of the Arts introduced a new Visual Arts minor, opened to students in all majors.  The 22-credit minor intends to give students a comprehensive overview of fine arts fundamentals. Department leaders believe any person can benefit from visual learning and visual thinking, We laurel Mason Gross for dispelling the notion that art and creative expression are only applicable to a small group of people.

FAUX FLYERS

April 1st is in 10 months folks, but this hasn’t stopped pranksters from being fools. This week, an unknown culprit posted fake “room change” flyers telling students their classes relocated to different classroom. Some faux notices instructed students to travel from Livingston campus to Douglass, and others directed them to nonexistent buildings. The hoax was a great inconvenience for students, especially those who are new to campus. We dart this trickster for a lack of consideration. 

AWARD-WINNING ALUM

Breaking Bad may have stolen the show at this year’s Emmy Awards, but we were proud to see a Rutgers alumnus win an Emmy of his very own. NBC News 4 New York’s Harry Cicma, who graduated from the University in 2004, for covering Hurricane Sandy for WNBC. He accredits his success to his experiences at Rutgers, working for WRSU 88.7 Radio and RU-tv. We laurel Cicma for not only contributing to Rutgers’ proud legacy, but dedicating his award to the University. 

HOUSING HULLABALOO

Made evident by the massive amount of construction projects on campus, Rutgers is adding many new buildings to campus, including residence halls. But at the moment, space in residence halls is insufficient. Nearly 400 students who applied for the housing lottery remain without housing. Some transfer students reported that the University denied them housing. Living on campus is an important experience and helps new students make friends. We thought Rutgers would have learned from stuffing first-years into lounges last year, so we dart the University for a lack of preparation.