Inside Beat takes on New York City Comic Convention

ib_comic_con_2

Attendees at the annual New York Comic Con dressed as their favorite characters, ranging from anime to the Avengers, and posed for pictures.

Cosplay and comics took to the Big Apple this past weekend at the annual New York Comic Convention popularly known as Comic Con. 

Held at the Jacob K. Javits Convention Center, the event started last Thursday and ran all weekend. Attendees were able to dress up as their favorite characters from anime to the Avengers, as well as meet the people who design and create their favorite comic books. 

Throughout the weekend, NYCC featured a main floor where attendees could purchase goods from vendors, including T-shirts, costumes and even iconic weapons from video games and television shows. The main floor also included vendors selling limited edition comic books and creators drawing on the spot portraits of a favorite character.

Featured inside Javits Center North, creators were lined up so fans could go and talk to them and come up with their favorite stories and characters. 

Photo:

New and upcoming artists lined up to feature their own stories. Hunter Fine, an artist from New York, said his comic, “Nerd Pimp,” is the story of an IT guy who falls into one of the world’s oldest professions.

“Wren, the main character, goes from being a nerd, to a nerd pimp,” he said. 

Along with the artists, NYCC also featured panels and screenings for upcoming movies, television shows and video games. These included previews of the new season of “The Walking Dead,” “Disney InfINity 2.0” and even “Tomorrowland,” where George Clooney crashed the screening panel.

During the panel for “Disney InfINity 2.0,” newest team programmer Patrick Efird, a former math teacher, explained how he was discovered through a weekly contest where gamers could create their own maps for the game. The introduction of Efird to the creative team shows that companies are beginning to blur the line between professional and participant. 

“I used to use examples in my class, asking my students in worksheets, ‘How many buildings did the Hulk destroy?’ he said. “It’s crazy to think that just a few years ago, I was sitting out there with all of you watching a panel on the first version of this game, and now I’m sitting up here and working on it.”

NYCC also allows celebrity fans to attend meet and greets, where attendees can line up for autographs and pictures with their favorite characters. 

This year featured most of the original cast from “Star Trek: The Next Generation,” including Sir Patrick Stewart, Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden and LeVar Burton. 

Celebrities always seem to pop up unexpectedly. Last year, Andrew Garfield, fully dressed as a Spiderman cosplayer, emerged during a panel promoting “The Amazing Spiderman 2.”

One of the best parts of NYCC is the cosplay. Attendees dress as their favorite characters, then pose for pictures with others throughout the convention. Characters range from Deadpool to Indiana Jones to Jake from “Adventure Time.” 

Cosplayers sometimes put their own spin on characters, dressing as the opposite gender, or mashing up two or more characters. One specific character that stuck out was a man dressed as Ariel from “The Little Mermaid.” 

Keeping the safety of the cosplayers in mind, NYCC posted signs this year throughout the event, informing attendees “Cosplay is not Consent.” According to an article on Mashable.com, Alana Leilani dressed as Lady Rainicorn from ”Adventure Time” and described one of the many harassments she experienced at last year’s NYCC. 

“One [guy] stopped after I pushed him away; [another] asked permission to put his head in my cleavage, and I said no ... He went to take a picture and did it anyway, so I punched him,” she said. 

Shawn Smith