Rutgers prepares for dual-threat quarterback at Nebraska

Senior strong safety Lorenzo Waters said that each offense presents something unique that the Rutgers defense has to prepare for each week. – Photo by Tian Li

After playing one of the top offenses in the nation against Ohio State last weekend, the Rutgers football team is now tasked with facing one of the most dynamic offenses in the country with one of the top offensive weapons in running back Ameer Abdullah.

Along with a top threat at running back, Nebraska boats a dual-threat quarterback in Tommy Armstrong, Jr. But that’s nothing new for the Scarlet Knights, as they faced a pair of similar talents against Michigan and the Buckeyes.

But according to senior strong safety Lorenzo Waters, going up against Wolverines’ Devin Gardner and Ohio State’s J.T. Barrett does go lengths to prepare the Knights defense for Armstrong, Jr. Every team has different offenses to account for, Waters said.

“Each offense presents its own unique challenges,” Waters said. “But just having that experience definitely is going to prepare you [for] how it’s going to be come game day,” 

When the Knights prepare for the Huskers, they will have to deal with a surplus of talent at the receiver position. Nebraska receivers Kenny Bell and Jordan Westercamp both pose problems.

Bell and Westercamp have nearly identical numbers on the season, showing they spread the ball around and do not have a true number-one receiver. Each has 27 receptions on the season, both boasting at least 500 receiving yards and averaging over 18 yards per catch.

While Westercamp boasts three touchdowns and Bell has two, head coach Kyle Flood acknowledges it doesn’t matter who lines up on one side, as each defensive back plays to the team strategy, not a specific receiver.

“That’s generally not the way we play, but they do have a very talented group of receivers and they have a freshman, number 15, who is a dynamic punt returner, and a guy who’s starting to come on in the passing game,” Flood said. “They’ve got some legitimate weapons back there, but we really don’t want to divulge the whole game plan on a Tuesday, [although] they do have our film and generally [putting a corner on their side of the field] is something that we do.”

***

Freshman running back Josh Hicks, who had been practicing at free safety for the past few weeks, will simulate Abdullah on the scout team this week, Flood announced.

“Josh Hicks is going to help us simulate Ameer Abdullah while he continues to learn the safety position,” Flood said. “We have to put someone back there that can give us the right kind of look, the right kind of speed, and I think very highly of his ability at tailback. He’s a great person to do that.”

Flood also announced freshman defensive back Isaiah Wharton will simulate Huskers quarterback Armstrong, Jr. While Wharton has minimal experience, he will be vital in the week’s preparation, Flood said.

“We just felt we needed a quarterback back there who’s a little bit more of a threat as a runner,” Flood said. “He throws it fine, but when we get to preparing for third and long, we’ll get a different guy in there.”

According to sophomore defensive back Nadir Barnwell, Wharton has done a satisfactory job at the position and has helped the team so far in practice.

“[Wharton] is actually doing very well,” Barnwell chuckled, mocking his fellow defensive back. “I think he played there in high school. He’s definitely giving us a good look — he’s pretty shifty.”

For updates on the Rutgers football team, follow @TylerKaralewich and @TargumSports on Twitter.