Rutgers showcase talent at quad meet

When asked last week about the Rutgers Duals, head coach Scott Goodale said it would be a good test for the Rutgers wrestling team as an extension of the wrestle-offs exhibition, but still competitive enough as a start to the season. 

Goodale went on to say it was a stress-free situation where the Scarlet Knights could face a different opponent and prepare for the upcoming season. Each weight class was guaranteed three matches. 

Sunday, at the first quad meet at Rutgers in recent history, there was no sense of stress in the matchups as the Knights handily defeated Centenary, 49-3, Delaware Valley, 38-6, and Stevens Institute of Technology, 41-0. 

Overall, Goodale was pleased with the performance. 

“It was a good day. We got three wins, wrestled hard, won some matches late,” Goodale said. “… And it was a good day for our young guys. Guys like [freshman Ralph Normandia] and Nicholas Gravina, it was there first time in the lineup and they wrestled well, so that was good.” 

Normandia, Gravina and redshirt freshman 125-pounder Josh Patrick were three newcomers who stood out for the Knights.

Normandia, who wrestled three matches at 197 pounds, collected three minor decisions — one that came in sudden victory against Delaware Valley. He also came back against Stevens to win, 7-6. 

Gravina collected a win by fall two minutes into his first match, followed it up with tech fall and ended his quad meet with an 11-1 major decision against Stevens’ Conner Bass. 

It was Gravina’s first match grappling in a Rutgers singlet after missing some time last season due to injury. The Allendale, New Jersey, native started off the season winning his wrestle-off at 165 pounds and followed that up on Sunday with three wins.

Finally wrestling for the Knights is a dream come true for Gravina, who said he couldn’t wait to compete for Rutgers in dual-competition. Although he was happy to be out there, he acknowledged that there were still some nerves.

“It was great and awesome to finally be out there wrestling in a Rutgers singlet,” Gravina said. “There’s some stress because it is my first collegiate match, and it’s the first time I’m out there, but it felt good to have a good day.”

While Goodale was impressed with some of the young guys, it was the veterans who still managed to pick things up for the Knights. 

Juniors Billy Smith and Anthony Perrotti, along with sophomore Phil Bakuckus and redshirt freshman Anthony Ashnault, went 3-0 in their respective weights. All of them collected at least one major against the Division III opponents.

“It’s good to get all these falls. That’s the reason why we schedule all these matches,” Perrotti said. “We can get a nice little warmup, wrestle down to weight for the first time and see how everyone is feeling at their weight. We looked pretty good, not perfect though, but we still got some work to do.”

Perrotti was able to collect a win by fall and two tech falls, all of which ended in the first period. “My top game was on-point today and I was scoring a lot of back points,” Perrotti said. “I felt like my offense was really clicking.”

As well as the team performed, Goodale sees many ways Rutgers can improve. The seasonal grind lasts all the way until March for the Knights, and in order to reach their goal of having more All-Americans (and possible National Champions), they have to keep improving their game.

“There are a lot of things we have to do better with,” Goodale said. “We have to get better overall. This is a good tune up, and it’s nice to get some matches under our belt, but there are no more excuses. We have a big one coming in two Sundays, we got to keep getting better. This is just the first step.”Tyler Karalewich

Associate Sports Editor

“There are a lot of things we have to do better with,” Goodale said. “We have to get better overall. This is a good tune up, and it’s nice to get some matches under our belt, but there are no more excuses. We have a big one coming in two Sundays, we got to keep getting better. This is just the first step.”

Tyler Karalewich