Brower Commons burglarized during winter break

6649_52365884d6a73imagef
Photo by Yesha Chokshi |

Brower Commons on the College Avenue campus was burglarized between 12 p.m. on Dec. 31 and 9:30 a.m. on Jan. 2.

The Brower Commons on the College Avenue campus was burglarized sometime between New Year’s Eve and Jan. 2, campus police said.

The break-in occurred between 12 p.m. on Dec. 31 and 9:30 a.m. on Jan. 2. The burglar forced their way into the building through an exterior point of entry, police said. Information regarding the items taken and descriptions of the perpetrators is limited.

Two additional robberies occurred one day prior to the burglary at Brower Commons. The incidents are being investigated by the New Brunswick Police Department.

The first incident occurred on Dec. 30 around 1:05 a.m. within an off-campus residence located in the area of Central Avenue and Prosper Street in New Brunswick, New Brunswick police said.

University-affiliated victims reported that three male perpetrators entered the residence, displayed a firearm and demanded items of value. NBPD indicated the presence of narcotics at the scene.

One of the victims was physically assaulted and sustained non-life threatening injuries.

The second incident occurred on Dec. 29 at approximately 6:12 p.m. within an off-campus residence located in the area of Jones Avenue and Townsend Street in New Brunswick.

The University-affiliated victim reported that three male perpetrators entered his unsecured residence, displayed a firearm, and demanded narcotics. The perpetrators removed several items of value and a small quantity of narcotics but did not injure the victim.

The perpetrators in both incidents fled the area in an unknown direction. Police said their descriptions are limited at this time, and it is unknown if the incidents are related.

According to the Rutgers University-New Brunswick Crime Statistics from 2014 to 2015, three robberies and 75 burglaries took place on campus and were reported to RUPD in 2013.

Avalon Zoppo