April 25, 2019 | 54° F

WEEK IN REVIEW: Laurels and Darts

SAY IT AGAIN MR.PRESIDENT

In his State of the Union address, President Barack Obama became the first president to ever use the words “lesbian,” “bisexual” and “transgender” in a State of the Union speech. He did so while highlighting the importance of respecting human dignity and showcasing American leadership. This laurel goes out to President Obama for remaining a progressive world leader and advocating for the protection and safety of every American.   

BUILDING ON UP

Renderings of new high-rise buildings designed to redevelop an entire block of Paterson Street were released this week. The development would knock out seven privately-owned buildings and would officially become the tallest building in the city. This dart goes out to the developers trying change the cultural and physical landscape of New Brunswick. Not every downtown area needs to glitter like New York City.

DANCING FOR DISNEY

After submitting their video just minutes before the deadline, the Rutgers Spirit Team won the ESPN and Disney “Cheer on Your Disney Side,” competition. Their grand prize was $100,000 in grant money and an all-expenses paid trip to Disney. We laurel these students for keeping the spirit of Disney alive and for reppin’ RU at the happiest place on earth — go Knights!

TUMULTUOUS TWEETS

Rutgers Hillel executive director Andrew Getraer came under fire this week for personal Tweets and Retweets that represented Islamophobic sentiments. Whether or not you agree with his ideologies, these statements contribute to the rising tensions between pro-Israel and pro-Palestinian groups on campus. This dart goes out to community leaders who can be working to promote discourse rather than increase tensions.

FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS

Just before finals, Rutgers professors attended a Board of Governors meeting to continue to defend their stance on fair contracts. The fight for fair treatment is expected to continue this semester. We laurel our Rutgers teachers and professors for continuing to fight for their rights and for a better learning environment for all students at the University. 

ROE V. REVERSAL

On the 42nd anniversary of the landmark Supreme Court decision Roe v. Wade, House Republicans passed a bill to restrict federal funding for abortions. One provision of the bill would bar women from receiving abortions with Medicaid funding. We dart these politicians and lawmakers for restricting a woman’s right to appropriate healthcare.