​Meteorologists deserve gratitude, not criticism

I am writing in response to the dart you gave to meteorologists for mis-forecasting the recent snowstorm. The public is too quick to jump on meteorologists when their forecasts are off — without ever giving thought to how incredibly difficult it is to predict a storm. Meteorologists have taken years of calculus and physics courses equally as rigorous as an engineering degree to get to where they are today. Genius mathematicians have developed super computers to process copious amounts of climate data to model storms days advance. Even so, meteorologists can be wrong because there is very little margin for error. Just 100 miles can mean the difference between 2 feet of snow and 2 inches. There was still a strong storm this past Monday and still a ton of snow — the track was just slightly off. I am sure the residents of Boston wouldn’t tell you the meteorologists were wrong!

Instead of criticizing meteorologists at every chance, we should be grateful for their services. In 1900, the Great Galveston Hurricane claimed over 8,000 lives in Texas. Few saw the storm coming. With today’s knowledge of storms and weather prediction, such disasters rarely occur because meteorologists notify the public well in advance. In the case of Monday’s storm, it is better to be safe than sorry. Imagine if we did get 2 feet of snow and it wasn’t predicted at all! In conclusion, remember how useful meteorologists are before giving them a hard time. I am sure the meteorologists will return the favor, learn from their errors and be even more accurate in the future.  

Marcus Pescinski is a Rutgers Business School junior studying finance and meteorology.  

Marcus Pescinski