Netanyahu breech of protocol not first one

While Sara Zayed is quick to criticize Speaker John Boehner and Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu for their supposed “break of protocol," she forgets that former Speakers have conducted such breaches before. Former Speaker Nancy Pelosi visited Syria to meet with President Bashar al-Assad, despite the Bush administration’s strong protests, and claimed that President Assad was willing to negotiate. This was in spite of the fact that Syria undertook an illicit nuclear weapons program, which was destroyed in an Israeli airstrike five months after her visit.

When considering the Obama administration’s own breaches of protocol, such as the President’s plan to use an executive agreement to bypass the Senate’s Constitutional power to approve treaties, and the fact that the treaty and negotiations have been kept a secret, it is clear that the Administration has no basis for complaint against Prime Minister Netanyahu and Speaker Boehner.

Zayed also argues that Iran would never use a nuclear weapon, if for nothing but self-preservation. This ignores the other enemies that Iran has in the Middle East who do not have second strike capability — the chief value of nuclear weapons is intimidation. With a nuclear weapon Iran can intimidate those states in the Middle East that supposedly oppose its views, representing a further destabilizing force in a region already overwhelmed by conflict.

Najum M. Junaid is a School of Arts and Sciences School of Arts and Sciences first-year student. He is a prospective double major in genetics and political science.

Najum M. Junaid