PRSSA Fashion Show debuts new styles, benefits diabetes research

ib_fashion_show_2_copy

As the waters warm up and the nights get longer, April’s bonfires, picnics and outdoor activities have many of the University’s chicest ladies throwing open their closets in desperation, exclaiming that they have “nothing to wear.” With finals looming closer and temperatures boiling up to the 70s, it’s safe to say that New Brunswick has officially come down with a serious case of spring fever.

Like in the case of any good epidemic, it’s best to be prepared. Lucky for us, the University's Todd Hunt Chapter of the Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) presented their second annual "Fashion for a Cause Fashion Show" last Sunday afternoon, April 19. It highlighted 30 looks to inspire the whim of any sartorial personality, no matter who you are or where you are headed, when you’re finally freed from class.

Hosted at the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus, PRSSA has been prepping for this event since January, said the event sponsorship coordinator Jaclyn Finger. And the organization’s hard work truly showed. Featuring clothing from five outfitters local to New Jersey, an all-female cast of models walked in the runway in everything from glittering illusion dresses and ruffled rompers to printed harem pants and floppy felt hats.

Pop-up boutiques from Sofi Accessories, Mary Kay, StellaDot and Touchstone Jewelry, in addition to the vendors, also had merchandise for sale throughout the event that guests could circle through to purchase as they snacked on refreshments, enjoyed the DJ and played their tickets for a silent raffle.

Photo:
Photo:
Photo:

Finger, a School of Arts and Sciences junior pursuing a major in Communication, cites the career-relevant event planning experience that the show provides for PRSSA members as one of the best aspects of "Fashion for a Cause Fashion Show," succeeded only by its philanthropic theme.

The show’s proceeds from ticket sales benefit the Juvenile Diabetes Research Foundation, a cause dear to Finger’s heart.

“One of my best friends has had diabetes since the fifth grade, so it is very rewarding knowing I am helping out children who are going through something she went through,” she said.

JDRF has a long-standing relationship with PRSSA at Rutgers. The non-profit works to raise awareness and funding for research in aims of curing type 1 diabetes.

After the models made their last loop down the runway to full applause from the audience, event coordinators and show emcees, Melissa Hoffman and David Pangilinan, could not have been beaming any brighter.

Hoffman, a School of Arts and Sciences senior, cited coordinating the 30 models as one of the most rewarding aspects of the show and attributed the success of this event not only to PRSSA’s all time high membership at the University, but also the organization’s “really creative, hardworking and determined” executive board, she said.

Pangilinan, a School of Arts and Sciences junior, celebrated the glamour and fun of the event.

“I feel amazing! PRSSA is such a family, and with this event, we ended the year with a bang” he said.

Look #1: Kru & Krahn, New Brunswick

Trend: Everyday Chic

Best Look: Gray short-sleeved crop top paired with angled, twisted cerulean blue maxi skirt, orange ankle strap heels and neon jeweled statement necklace

We loved: Their sleek navy convertible wrap dress, leather leggings, crop tops galore and dazzling statement necklaces

Look #2: Sense of Style Boutique, North Brunswick

Trend: Sophisticated Night Out

Best Look: Long sleeved, high neck, black damask printed, short body con dress with allusion sleeves and keyhole neck cutout

We loved: Their shocking pink zipper front dress, plum jumpsuit, sunny floral prints and ankle strap heels

Look #3: Rue Royale Couture, Red Bank

Trend: Glittery Special Occasion

Best Look: Floor length, strapless blue-green formal gown with silver jeweled bodice and waist embellishment

We loved: Their prom, pageant or special occasion dresses in striking solid tones with jeweled details and unusually pretty necklines

Look #4: Anthology, Hoboken

Trend: Downtown Weekend

Best Look: Black, loose, long bell sleeve strapless top with distressed, high-waisted jean shorts

We loved: Their blue and white printed pants, sweet sundresses and loose fitting ballerina style tank with lace back cinch

Look #5: Finale, New Brunswick

Trend: Bohemian, Coachella bound

Best Look: White, tie front sleeveless romper with a crocheted floral design, chestnut cowboy boots with matching chestnut cowboy hat, stone turquoise necklace

We loved: Their circle sunglasses, floral crowns, allusion dresses, harem pants and fringe all over

Janine Puhak