Rutgers network attack causes registration difficulties for students

In light of recent issues affecting the RUWireless and RUWireless Secure networks, the University moved class registration dates to better accommodate affected students, said Julie Traxler, dean of first-year students for the School of Arts and Sciences.

The most recent attack was not the first to affect University servers this semester, according to The Daily Targum. Between March 27 and March 30, the University network was afflicted by a Distributed Denial of Service (DDoS) attack, in addition to one that occurred during class registration during the Fall 2014 semester.

A DDoS occurs when a hacker remotely controls thousands of computers and instructs them to overwhelm a specific target server. This is what happened during Fall 2014 and March 2015, effectively forcing staff to shut down the University network for protection.

During the March DDoS attack, an email account associated with The Daily Targum received two emails from an anonymous source claiming that the sender was responsible for all attacks on the University network.

According to The Daily Targum, the emails were forwarded to the Rutgers Office of Information Technology (OIT).

The emails could potentially be genuine considering how closely they were sent to the attack, said Don Smith, vice president of OIT.  No personally identifiable information was acquired by the hacker, Smith said.

As of 4:30 p.m. on Friday, May 1, the University networks had been performing reliably throughout the day, Smith said in a mass email to students.

Francesca Falzon