Rutgers Business School senior secures job at Facebook

front_facebook_courtesy

Rutgers Business School graduate and former Google intern Daisy Fernandez, left, will begin her first job out of college at Facebook's office in New York City, where she will work as a client solution manager, COURTESY OF DAISY FERNANDEZ

After multiple phone interviews and a trip to San Francisco during a drought, Daisy Fernandez could breathe a sigh of relief about her post-graduation plans.

Fernandez, a Rutgers Business School senior, landed her dream job more than five months before commencement at Silicon Valley giant, Facebook.

"Going to the business school, everyone works at Goldman Sachs, so I thought I'd just end up somewhere on Wall Street," she said. "Four years ago, I didn't think I'd end up at Facebook."

After two phone interviews, she was flown out to California in December for four more interviews. A week later, she heard back with good news.

But Fernandez does not have to relocate across the country for her job. Instead, she will be working at Facebook’s office in New York City.

During the many interviews, Fernandez said what made her stand out from the pool of applicants was her passion.

“Oftentimes, people want these roles simply because of the company, but you have to genuinely love what (the company) is doing and fit into that culture,” she said. “When I visited their headquarters, I immediately felt at home.”

As a supply chain and management major, Fernandez said she is glad she got a job in her field. Her title at the company is a client’s solution manager, which entails working on Facebook’s advertising platform.

“Essentially, we get advertising clients and then I’ll be a consultant for Facebook and manage their accounts, do all the advertising with them, as well as the reporting and metrics,” she said.

Fernandez said she eventually wants to focus on philanthropic endeavors at Facebook.

"I want to be able to work with Facebook to eventually help people that come from traditionally marginalized groups and help them have their own success story," she said.

Throughout her four years at the University, Fernandez said she has had many unpaid internships that eventually led to her job at Facebook.

From working at a small agency to interning at the multinational technology company Google, Fernandez said internships are an important step in landing your dream job.

“I didn't think I was going to get these jobs or internships, but I was like 'Alright, what do I have to lose?’" she said.

The support system at the University helped Fernandez find her passion in marketing.

"I always knew I wanted to do something that was business-related but also creative and interactive with people," she said. "I did research and found out marketing fit that description, so I started taking more marketing classes."

Fernandez joined the Douglass Residential College as a first-year student, and said being surrounded by driven individuals ultimately gave her the drive to start a social media program at Douglass.

After implementing her residential college social media program, Fernandez ended up working at the Student Life marketing team for three years.

"That was a big aspect of my time here," she said. "It was a very supportive atmosphere. (Student Life) was always pushing me to apply to different things and helped with career coaching."

After graduation, Fernandez and her friends hope to start a scholarship at the Douglass Residential College.

Fernandez believes the ability of a student to find a job depends not only on the industry they are entering, but also their resourcefulness. Seniors and juniors should be open to different opportunities and not pigeon-hole themselves into only one industry, she said.

"You shouldn't be afraid of doing a very basic, entry-level job," she said. "People just expect they are going to get this very well-paying job, but that's not really the way it works. Go in with an open mentality."

In order to stay organized, Fernandez created a spreadsheet of all of the jobs she applied for. She said searching for a job during senior year is "like a part-time job in of itself," but students still looking for a job can benefit from networking and not being afraid to ask for help.

"Honestly, don't give up," she said. "I was fortunate to end up where I did end up, but if that weren't the case, I’d still be interviewing.”

Avalon Zoppo