Week in Review: Laurels and Darts | Oct. 16, 2015

laurels_and_darts

BLACK ON THE BANKS

Amidst the University’s 250th anniversary celebration, it is important to incorporate often-marginalized narratives as we reflect on the institution's history. “Black on the Banks: African-American Students at Rutgers in the 1960s,” was a two-day event dedicated to remembering students who experienced prejudice and discrimination at the University. We laurel the event’s organizers for disseminating the difficult stories of students who lived during this fraught period for civil rights.

DANGEROUS DAVIDSON

Over the past couple of weeks, there has been construction going on in front of the Davidson residence halls on Busch campus. This has left students confused about where exactly the H bus will stop, and what times the street will be closed to traffic. In the rush to get to class, being met with roadblocks is never ideal, and some warning would be welcome. This dart is for the lack of communication between the student body and those in charge of construction projects.

ASSISTING SYRIANS

The Syrian refugee crisis maintains a presence in international discussions, given that millions have fled Syria due to its ongoing, raging civil war. While some countries have welcomed the asylum seekers, others have closed their borders, leaving many to aimlessly fend for themselves. Therefore, the Arab Cultural Club seeks to help in the ways they can. We laurel the Arab Cultural Center for preparing for a banquet on Oct. 27, in which all proceeds will be donated toward the relief effort.

TRAFFIC TROUBLES

From the plethora of students using the University buses to get to classes, to the faculty and a multifarious set of workers who commute to New Brunswick from out of town, thousands rely on the smooth flow of traffic to get to their destination. The Rutgers community is especially sensitive to obstructions during their daily commute, so this dart goes out to the traffic caused by the construction of a new bridge on the intersection of State Route 18 and U.S. Route 1, whose estimated completion date is Aug. 15, 2016.

TRANSFORMING THE TRANSPORTATION

The University expects to have a new transportation system by December 2016. Through the transportation section of the “University Master Plan,” mobility alternatives will be enhanced for students, faculty, staff and visitors. Some of the projects include Transit Hubs, a Raritan River pedestrian and bike bridge, Livingston Preserve Trails, a Raritan River Boardwalk, a George Street/Neilson Street bus and bike route and a Busch-Livingston connector. We laurel the Rutgers University Department of Transportation Services for addressing students' longstanding concerns of transportation inefficiency.

FOSTERING FOSSIL FUELS

The Rutgers Fossil Fuel Divestment Campaign was active in distributing flyers and encouraging students to participate in “Rutgers’ First Annual Climate Fest.” The issue of climate change has been backed by the scientific community and could have devastating effects for the future. This dart is for the University administrators who choose to continue to invest in fossil fuel use, thereby perpetuating humanity's progression on a detrimental path.