New Brunswick library to host photo competition

Residents of New Brunswick and surrounding areas can submit photographs they take with the hopes of seeing them displayed in prominent city locations.

For the eighth year in a row, the New Brunswick Free Public Library is hosting a photography competition open to public.

Submissions should be in by Friday, Oct. 9, and winners will be announced next month on Nov. 13 during a reception held for the contest at the library.

Selected photos will be displayed at the library, the George Street Playhouse and Crossroads Theatre.

Winning photographs can all be viewed beginning the evening of Nov. 13, and will continue through Nov. 30 at the theaters or Dec. 3 at the library.

This year’s theme is “take your best shot,” and entries can be of any subject. They should include a caption explaining where and when the picture was taken.

All entries should have been taken between June 1 and Oct. 9, and there is a limit of three photographs per person.

Submissions should include both a 8 by 10-inch print and a digital version saved as a JPEG (.jpg) file. These can be sent in separately if the entrant wants to email the digital file.

A form found online should be completed and submitted along with the photos.

As this competition is open to and will be viewed by the public, submissions should remain age appropriate.

The Middlesex County Cultural and Heritage Commission, Middlesex County Board of Chosen Freeholders and the New Jersey State Council on the Arts all provided funding for the contest.

To participate in the competition or to learn more, visit http://www.nbfpl.org/events.html#photocontest.

Nikhilesh De