Week in Review: Laurels and Darts | Nov. 20, 2015

laurels_and_darts

RESOURCES FOR RESEARCH

Rutgers University is one of the nation's top 30 research universities. Whether you are working toward an undergraduate degree or a graduate degree, as a student at the University, you have the ability to participate in a wide range of world-class projects with leading professionals. We laurel the University for increasing its research funding for the 2015-2016 academic system by more than $100 million, making this year's funding $612.5 million. 

#STOPRACISM2K15

From Missouri to Connecticut, major protests erupted in college campuses across the United States. Students are highlighting the unaddressed racial tensions that foster an inimical environment for the educational development of minority students. We dart the issues of race within our own University — from the lack of faculty of color to the underfunded Department of Africana Studies. 

DISABILITY DISCRIMINATION

Even if you are a well-qualified applicant, you still might not get the job. According to a study conducted by Rutgers University and Syracuse University, discrimination against people with disabilities were concentrated among the most experienced applicants. The study shows the magnitude of the bias was mostly seen in small firms that aren't covered by the Americans with Disabilities Act. We dart the gaps in the Americans with Disabilities Act that do not rectify prejudice in hiring within small firms. 

EDUCATION AND ISLAM

Since the events that struck cities like Paris and Beirut, misconstrued ideas about Islam continue to circulate and reinforce hate. At the Rutgers Visitor Center on the Busch campus, 17 Muslim leaders, including representatives from mosques and Muslim organizations across the state, gathered to condemn terrorist attacks. We laurel this event for clarifying the fact that terrorism is incongruent with the values and traditions of the Islamic faith. 

FDA FINANCING

The U.S. Food an Drug Administrations (FDA) recently awarded Rutgers' Engineering Research Center for Structured Organic Particulate Systems (C-SOPS) with $4.9 million in grants. We laurel the Engineering Research Center, the world's largest academic industrial research effort for pharmaceutical manufacturing, for its work in speeding up pill creation.

NO COMPASSION FOR CHRISTIE

After escaping a civil war and crossing turbulent waves of the Mediterranean Sea, Syrians must now face judgments from people like Gov. Chris Christie (R-N.J.). Some 12 million Syrians have been forced from their homes, half of them children. We dart the lack of compassion from leaders like Christie who refuse to allow refugees into the country, including "orphans under the age of 5."