Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show isn’t worth stressing over

Opinion Column: The Scarlet Trotter

It's that time of the year again, ladies and gentlemen. The event that has all the boys drooling and all the girls bawling, the annual experience that will have you running to the gym — yeah, you've guessed it! It’s time for the Victoria's Secret Fashion Show.

Now don't freak out, you guys didn't miss it. Though the actual show took place earlier this week, the end result and final taping won't be aired until Dec. 4, so mark those calendars. But if you guys checked your Snapchat lately, you would have seen the exclusive sneak peeks into the show directed by ... no one special, just basically all the actual angels who were in the show. Needless to say everyone looked amazing. Feathers, pink silk robes and the occasional celebrity here and there — pretty much just like my own Snapchat stories, obviously.

Personally, I love watching the show. It's basically a mini version of "Carnival," except it's not in Rio and Ellie Goulding probably wouldn't stand in the middle of all the madness while belting out her songs. I mean, a girl can dream, but for now let's just stick with reality. But I always hear girls groaning and moaning at the commercials and Instagram posts of all the angels walking down the runway. The, comments like, "Wow I hate her so much, can I be her?" or, "Literally, like no one looks like that, so not fair," or the "Pass me the Ben & Jerry's" are just a few of the self-loathing thoughts that abound while watching the show. I mean I do get it — these women are supermodel “glamazons” who seem like they floated down from the heavens to grace us with their presence in bejeweled lingerie and 20-pound feathered wings. Of course we're all going to be envious of them, they're Victoria's Secret supermodel angels, seriously, who in their right mind wouldn't want to be Adriana Lima?

But ladies, here's the thing — that's the whole point. These women are specially selected, trained and tailored to be in one of the most widely watched shows in the entire world. It's like the Super Bowl — but with underwear.

What I'm trying to get at here is that we have to stop comparing ourselves to them. I'm going to say it — and I'm probably going to be hated for it, and that doesn’t matter — but you and I will never, ever, ever look like Victoria’s Secret angels. It doesn't matter how many hours we slave away at the gym, how many lean cuisines we eat or how many juice cleanses we put ourselves through. We will never be them. Want to know why?

It is their job. Their occupation that requires each and every one of them to look the way they do. They don't just sit around, eating buckets of Nutella in silk robes until it's time to show off their rock hard abs to the world. They train for the show every single day. They work extremely hard with trainers, nutritionists and experts to maintain their bodies. According to an interview with Yolanda Foster, super model Gigi Hadid's mother — Gigi auditioned for the show twice and was turned down both times before finally being offered the gig. And that’s Gigi Hadid. "People have built shrines in her honor, and I heard she does car commercials, in Japan." She's a goddess in her own right, and she wasn't even allowed to walk down that runway.

Secondly, these women were pretty much born this way. Their genes gave them their hyper-human qualities that enable them to be supermodels — essentially the perfect combination of height and weight. People say that being naturally thin is a genetic thing, particularly for these women. It is literally in their blood.

The Victoria's Secret Fashion Show is a spectacle. It is a parade to show off the brand's merchandise through a huge blowout party and fashion show that keeps the company relevant year after year. But once the glitter settles and the balloons are popped, the magic is gone. It's not a big deal! So to all the women out there who feel threatened by the VS fashion show, stop making it a big deal.

And for me, the show is a huge source of inspiration. I have always wanted to be 6 feet tall, and I still wish for it every birthday, even though I’ll never get my wish. But more realistically, the show always gives me the motivation to work out. And just look at Hadid, she's not a typical runway model, but she is a huge success. Ladies, think abs and curves — think Hadid.

At the end of the day, it's just a silly parade. So grab yourself a burger, a shake and some fries, plop down on that couch and enjoy the show.

Biya Haq is a School of Arts and Sciences senior majoring in communications with a minor in digital communication, information and media. Her column, "The Scarlet Trotter," runs on alternate Fridays.

Biya Haq