Chocolate spoons you'll be stirring all winter

ib_hotchocsmall_edwin

As the holidays approach, you may be scrambling for gifts for your friends, family and coworkers. What if I told you that in less than a half an hour, you can prepare a thoughtful, inexpensive and delicious gift by making one of these hot chocolate spoons. Wrap a few up in some cellophane, attach a baggie of hot chocolate mix and bask in the praise of your loved ones. What could be better?

We used marshmallows, crushed candy canes and white chocolate chips to top our spoons, but there’s no need to limit yourself to just that. Get as creative with the toppings as you’d like — some mini M&M's or festive sprinkles would also make excellent, decorative toppings.

What You’ll Need:

• 1 cup of chocolate chips
  • 15 plastic spoons
  • Toppings (melted white chocolate chips, crushed candy canes, marshmallows, etc.)                                         

Steps to Take:

Photo:

1. Place the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for one minute and stir. Microwave at 30-second intervals, stirring thoroughly in between. Repeat until chocolate is smooth.

2. Fill the spoons with melted chocolate. Use a spatula to fill and level off the chocolate evenly. Once filled, place spoons on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper.

3. Decorate! For the white chocolate drizzle, we microwaved ¼ cup of white chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, then used the tines of a fork to drizzle on top. Be sure to gently press larger toppings into the chocolate so they do not fall off.

4. Place the baking sheet into the freezer for about 20 minutes or until the chocolate is set. Stir into a mug of hot chocolate or coffee and enjoy!

Be sure to store the chocolate spoons at room temperature — if they are left in the freezer or refrigerator, the chocolate might “bloom” — harmless, but not attractive.

Julia Terranova