Rutgers participates in 'Not Anymore' sexual awareness campaign

This past semester, Rutgers students were encouraged to complete the school’s first ever University-wide sexual violence education course. The course began a conversation on campus about the resources available to students.

As part of the program, students saw a series of educational clips tailored by the University. Students could access various University assistance programs through the course, such as Counseling, ADAP and Psychiatric Services (CAPS), Health, Outreach, Promotion and Education (H.O.P.E.) and Violence Prevention and Victim Assistance (VPVA), according to The Daily Targum.

“Our biggest hope is that we are able to educate our campus community,” Jordan Draper, the University’s Title IX coordinator, told the Targum.

A goal of the program is to help students identify and respond to dangerous situations, she said.

A sexual assault awareness campaign had never been done on this scale before, but the University expected a large portion of students to participate based on results of the #iSPEAK survey done in the 2014-2015 academic year.

The program also ignited a theme this school year of student awareness about sexual assault and resources, which has lead to the first-ever sexual assault prevention committee, a student focus group part of the Rutgers University Student Assembly (RUSA) in October.

Another component of the awareness campaign was the Hunting Grounds documentary screening, another result of the iSPEAK survey, according to the Targum.

“Our biggest hope is that we are able to educate our campus community on resources, policies and procedures regarding sexual violence," Draper said. " We want students to know there are many great resources on-campus that can help them or a peer. We also would like students to understand how to identify and intervene in potentially dangerous situations."