Former Rutgers football players arraigned in New Brunswick

The Rutgers football controversy from last semester continues with the recent arraignments of several former football players in connection with their alleged crimes.

Eight former football players from Rutgers were arraigned in the beginning of January on charges of home invasion and assault, the Asbury Park Press reported.

Former players arraigned include Tejay Johnson, Nadir Barnwell, Ruhaan Peele, Razohn Gross, Daryl Stephenson, Lloyd Terry and Delon Setephenson, according to the Asbury Park Press.

Barnwell, Peele, Delon and Daryl Stephenson are charged with assault. Gross and Terry are charged with robbery in relation to home invasions that occurred last semester. Johnson is charged with both assault and robbery, according to USA Today.

Kaylan Ricks, who allegedly was a getaway driver in one of the robberies, was also arraigned, the Asbury Park Press reported.

At the time of the arrest, Daryl Stephenson and Johnson were not players, but Boggs, Barnwell, Peele, Delon Stephenson, Gross and Terry were, the Asbury Park Press reported.

Attorneys for the former players entered not-guilty pleas on their clients’ behalves, the Asbury Park Press reported. 

Delon Stephenson will face incarceration if convicted, and Middlesex County Superior Court Judge Dennis Nieves said Delon’s attorney should further discuss with First Assistant Prosecutor Christopher Kuberiet to lower the plea offer, according to the Asbury Park Press.

Five of the players — Barnweel, Boggs, Gross, Delon Stephenson and Peele — were arrested on the assault charges back in early September 2015 and were immediately suspended, The Daily Targum reported. They were charged with aggravated assault, riot and conspiracy to commit a riot.

Samantha Karas